Foot injury... Trouble goat again.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, Trixie the trouble goat put her foot through the metal mesh in our wagon. We had to get it out, but at least we noticed right away when she got caught.

We cleaned the wound just under her dew claw and between her hoof right away with iodine. Last night barely a limp- and she tends to be a drama queen.

Today her foot is swollen and she won't walk on it and is laying more than normal. She milked out great and gets around fine but hops. We soaked her foot in Epsom salt and put antibiotic ointment on the small cut. It doesn't appear pussy or oozing.

Normally I'm in the wait and see camp. She's also my only goat to sell milk from for one more week until Ruby's is free of colostrum so I'd rather not throw a bunch of stuff at her "just in case."

Any suggestions?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I had one goat with hoof problems that we had a hard time clearing. We trimmed off hair from the joint down, washed it in a mild bleach and dish soap, trimmed it, and soaked it in I think either Hoof N Heal or Kopertox. We soaked it every few days and it did clear.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would be concerned with tetanus. I would administer a tetanus anti toxin shot. This is not the regular cd and t shot.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Would tetanus still be a concern three days later? She is up to date on CD&t, but I can get anti toxin 5 min away 7 days a week.

Swelling slightly down today, but still swollen. Other than the foot no other symptoms.
I would be concerned with tetanus. I would administer a tetanus anti toxin shot. This is not the regular cd and t shot.
d

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Its possible. It's possible whenever the skin is broken. Better safe than sorry. The old adage an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure rings true in the barn yard scene.