Foot problem

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a ewe who injured her foot a few months ago. It got caught between two pieces of wood an had a small injury right where the hoof meets the leg. We treated it and it seemed to be fine after a couple days. Now all of a sudden, the ewe is limping to a great degree and the hoof seems swollen. What should I do for it? Is there treatment that I can administer at home or should I go straight to the vet on Monday?

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
It would be odd if the hoof was fine after treatment, to come back several months later. Could this be a new injury? If the hoof is swollen and hot, it could be an infection? Just in case something worse has happened...having a vet Xray it would make sense. Hope you get an answer and solution soon!

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It sounds like it may be an abscess. Perhaps the previous wound healed on the outside but may have had some debris on the inside which as Bon mentioned could have become infected.

Eteda

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
it sounds as if the ewe has damaged her coronet band. it is like your quick in your finger nail. It is the point of hoof growth. Research coronet band injuries in horses there should be some helpful information their.