Foot rot in sheep

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I noticed my Ram starting to limp a bit today and checked on his hoof. Sure enough, foot rot. Seems pretty invasive to me too. Its deep into the hoof. Everything I've read so far seems to be for the beginning stages. I'm wondering if its the same thing. Do I need to give him a shot? Pack the area which is open? Wrap it? Put fungicide on it? Run down would be nice. Thanks.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's the same thing as the horrible photos you see, just beginning stages. Sometimes they never get past that stage, even if you don't treat, so that's a bonus.

Clean it out, trim if it's misshapen, and try fungicide. If that doesn't work, use LA 200 or Zactran, but be aware of withdrawal times.

My neighbors have cured individual sheep by putting bags of liquid zinc sulfate on their hooves and letting them sit in that treatment for hours, as well as giving the Zactran, but it's impractical to do this to a whole flock. Might be worth treating your ram this way to limit the rest of the flock's exposure.

I honestly have never had much luck truly getting rid of this stuff once it shows up. You'll think it's gone, and then it will come back after a rain. Just have to mitigate.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. Ill try to get a pic taken tomorrow but the foot rot extends into the hoof about 1/2" or so deep/long. Ill start spraying the fungicide and give a shot of LA 200. I don't have the zinc sulfate but will look into getting that.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is what we do over here. Foot rot is fairly common due to wet, muddy pasture where the infection lives for up to two weeks.

Firstly, any animal who starts to limp should be inspected, ideally that same day. If foot rot is found, the animal should be isolated from the others and the others moved to clean pasture. Clean the foot up, use an iodine-based spray locally on the hoof and inject with a long-acting tetracycline. May need to be repeated after 3 days.

Our current guidelines say no foot trimming at all, even if the hoof is overgrown. The hoof has overgrown as it is not being worn off by the animal placing its full weight on that leg. Cutting back, particularly the aggressive cutting back (to 'fresh blood')which used to occur, meant the animal was being forced to walk on raw tissue and infection was being poured onto the walking surface. When the hoof becomes less painful and the animal can walk on it again, the hoof will wear off.If there's a large piece if broken hoof which gets filled with soil, then this can be pared back.

Over her a vaccine is available for flocks in which the problem is chronic.

Be sure it is foot rot and not Contagious Ovine Digital Dermatitis which starts in the area where the nail emerges from the leg. The animal is very lame, but the foot doesn't smell like foot rot.:sick It is treated with large doses of penicillin.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is something I have never had to deal with but I have some links when we were learning that might provide some help;

https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/410/410-028/410-028.html

Thanks. I had read that one but it hasn't mentioned anything treatment options other than the meds, sprays and moving them.

This is what we do over here. Foot rot is fairly common due to wet, muddy pasture where the infection lives for up to two weeks.

Firstly, any animal who starts to limp should be inspected, ideally that same day. If foot rot is found, the animal should be isolated from the others and the others moved to clean pasture. Clean the foot up, use an iodine-based spray locally on the hoof and inject with a long-acting tetracycline. May need to be repeated after 3 days.

Our current guidelines say no foot trimming at all, even if the hoof is overgrown. The hoof has overgrown as it is not being worn off by the animal placing its full weight on that leg. Cutting back, particularly the aggressive cutting back (to 'fresh blood')which used to occur, meant the animal was being forced to walk on raw tissue and infection was being poured onto the walking surface. When the hoof becomes less painful and the animal can walk on it again, the hoof will wear off.If there's a large piece if broken hoof which gets filled with soil, then this can be pared back.

Over her a vaccine is available for flocks in which the problem is chronic.

Be sure it is foot rot and not Contagious Ovine Digital Dermatitis which starts in the area where the nail emerges from the leg. The animal is very lame, but the foot doesn't smell like foot rot.:sick It is treated with large doses of penicillin.

Thanks. Unfortunately I already trimmed the hoof before I read this but at the same time I would not have been able to clean out the area which is infected. Would you pack it with a cotton ball to keep debri from getting in? Picture coming in an hour or so when I make my lazy way outta the bed.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have not had to deal with this. I read of one account where the sheep owner had a long metal pan that he could place on the ground in a chute and he just drove the sheep through it occasionally with a solution in it to help keep foot rot from showing up.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I read of one account where the sheep owner had a long metal pan that he could place on the ground in a chute and he just drove the sheep through it occasionally with a solution in it to help keep foot rot from showing up.
We have a long plastic 'foot bath' into which we put formaldehyde solution. The sheep are run through the bath and then stand on a clean yard until their hooves have dried. The formaldehyde solution hardens the cleats of the hoof and also kills off bacteria. The foot bath is very useful when we have long, stringy wet grass which tends to cause scald in lambs in late spring.
Formaldehyde is pretty nasty stuff on the eyes though.....:hit

I'll just go take a pic. of the foot bath.......

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Upended foot bath

DSC00040.JPG