Foot rot? scald?

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone, remember that ram lamb that broke his foot and I had to set. Great news! It healed. Now, with all great news there is always bad news.

I don't know if he has foot rot, scald or some other kinda messy problem but the pic should speak clear enough. What you are looking at is his nail peeling off. Under that is fleshy looking dirty... stuff. Meat? Flesh? It doesn't stink, at least to me but I haven't stuck my nose right next to it either.

My first thoughts are that I need to start a foot bath regiment anyway so now is as good a time as any. Anything else you all would recommend? Also, should I wrap that hoof in anything to keep the dirt from getting in there? I would think not simply because that seems as though it would keep moisture in which is probably bad.

I have some blue coat and also some vetericyn as well. Should I be spraying either on and if so how often?

Attachments

• 20170818_185243.jpg
    20170818_185243.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 20170818_185250.jpg
    20170818_185250.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 147

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Glad the little guys break healed... sorry you're having follow up issues. I don't have sheep, but believe their hooves are similar to goats. I can't really tell from the picture because your thumb and finger are covering the front (?) of the hoof. But it looks to me almost like the hoof wall has wrapped itself around the underside of the hoof. I say this because I can't see any break point indicating the hoof wall. If that's the case, then it will trap all kinds of nastiness inside and cause lots of problems. Kind of like an ingrown toenail, you'll need to pry it up and trim it off. Soaking in warm water with Epsom salt will help soften it and also help draw out any infection. I am NOT speaking from a position of knowledge or experience... just what it looks like to me. I'll tag some Sheeple who may have a better recommendation or idea as to how you should proceed.

@Sheepshape @mysunwolf @purplequeenvt @Bossroo @The Old Ram-Australia @secuono @JACB Dorper And of course there are many more who might be able to help. Hope you get it sorted out.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks to me as though he either damaged the hoof (nail) bed when he fractured or the nail bed stopped growing when he had the trauma. I'm pretty sure he will grow a new hoof nail, but, in the meantime the sensitive nail bed may need some protection.

Good Luck

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. The mail is detached from the skin and can be pulled away. Think of our nails and one of them being detached from the quick, only held on by skin.
What should I protect it with? Something tells me a bandaid isn't going to cut it lol.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd trim off as much of the hoof that isn't attached to the skin as possible. If you are then able to apply some of that sticky tape which adheres to itself (I call it Vetband)over a non-adherent pad to protect the raw bit his hoof will soon grow back He'll find a way to walk on the unaffected side of his hoof in the meantime.

Just to say that Contagious Ovine Digital Dermatitis (CODD) causes the hoof to dehisce where the hoof joins the leg, but there's no reason to suspect CODD if the other half of the hoof is OK.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you. I think what I will do then is wash his foot in the foot bath, then spray some vetericyn on it as a disinfectant, then put a pad and wrap it. All this after I cut the deaf part off. Go figure, I just bought hoof trimmers, used them once and now I can't find them.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day, in the second photo has the horn completely covered the bottom of the hoof?As mentioned before from the photos its hard to judge.To obtain a clear photo in this situation I would suggest two people and as I think the problem is in a front foot?First person standing at the shoulder facing the rear ,lift the leg just below the knee so the bottom half is horizontal,the second with the camera stands at the hindquarter facing the front and takes a clear shot of the hoof and underside of the foot.In the first instance, trim all of the bottom of the hoof so the sole of the foot is exposed and clean out any dirt etc (don't over cut the horn).The next step is a clean/dry environment or well grassed area of grazing to allow the soft part of the hoof to "dry out"and harden up again.We are fortunate that our sheep are mainly black hoofed and the "hard" nature of a lot of our soils means that we almost "never" have to foot trim.Wet conditions underfoot are the natural enemy of sheep/goats feet so if you can avoid them so much the better ,if not I would be inclined to inspect every 2 months or so....T.O.R.

Latest posts