Foot rot? scald?

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
These are some of the pics i took this morning. They come after I clipped the hoof that was falling off.

I keeping him on my concrete next to my yard which just happens to need mowed desperately lol so that is a plus.

I've been spraying foot bath soak on him and vetericyn as well as washing his hoof in the morning and afternoon.

The hoof is completely gone from around the horn and the front underside of the hoof.

Attachments

• 20170820_083241.jpg
    20170820_083241.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 20170820_083228.jpg
    20170820_083228.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 116

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been reading through some info that I've accumulated over time and thought this link might help also. This gland won't be the cause of your infection but can be a contributor to making an already bad problem worse. I just wasn't sure if you knew about the gland between their toes. We make it the first thing we check when we see one limping and even the shy ones welcome the assist.

http://longridgefarm.blogspot.com/2006/09/sheep-foot-care.html

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
It looks like there is infection there. Over her we'd give a long acting tetracycline injection and iodine spray. That should clean it up.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. I have some Liquamycin that I've given him before when I first got him. I also put some blue coat on him since that is an open wound and I feel it needs some sort of protection.

I also read that article @Mike CHS and did what they had said. I figured it couldn't hurt.

Now if he would just stop stepping in his poop that'd be great.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day, that photo is "way" better,in pic 2 it looks as if the inside of the horn has rolled as well,(or were you cutting the sole of the foot?)which would be forcing the foot to roll outwards.When foot trimming I use a small straight bladed set of garden pruners (not the ones with one wide blade and one narrow) they are the ones with both blades of equal width and length.I find the "proper" hoof trimmers to be to large and can take too big a bite.Lay one blade flat on the hoof and cut the excess level with the bottom of the hoof.If this cut results in a bit sticking out towards the other half of the foot cut the excess off so it is flat on the side of the hoof.I note that the other half of the foot needs trim to so just repeat the procedure on it.Until you are confident in the operation always take a little "less" rather than a little more.Once you clear away the excess horn the foot will grow back and heal OK.If its manure is not firm, dry ,pellets reduce the protein and increase the fiber. Hope this helps ....T.O.R.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Sheepshape I think you were right about it being infected. I felt that leg today and down towards the hoof it felt warm so we took his temp and it was slightly? elevated at 105f. I hate saying slightly with that temp but to my understanding 101 - 104 is normal for sheep.
Anyway, we gave him a shot of Liquamycin, cleaned the area with water and rubbing alcohol , put blue coat on him, wrapped it and put some coban on it. Except for the shot we'll probably do the same thing tomorrow night.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
G'day, that photo is "way" better,in pic 2 it looks as if the inside of the horn has rolled as well,(or were you cutting the sole of the foot?)which would be forcing the foot to roll outwards.When foot trimming I use a small straight bladed set of garden pruners (not the ones with one wide blade and one narrow) they are the ones with both blades of equal width and length.I find the "proper" hoof trimmers to be to large and can take too big a bite.Lay one blade flat on the hoof and cut the excess level with the bottom of the hoof.If this cut results in a bit sticking out towards the other half of the foot cut the excess off so it is flat on the side of the hoof.I note that the other half of the foot needs trim to so just repeat the procedure on it.Until you are confident in the operation always take a little "less" rather than a little more.Once you clear away the excess horn the foot will grow back and heal OK.If its manure is not firm, dry ,pellets reduce the protein and increase the fiber. Hope this helps ....T.O.R.

So you don't think the meat will need to be covered somehow to protect it because it'll dry itself into a hoof? I don't know how hoofs work so no clue how it'll heal. I've tried to wrap it with vet wrap but I can't get anything to stay on even through the night when he's just in his stall.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
upload_2017-8-22_9-41-15.png

#3 is folded over (overgrown) hoof wall that needs to be trimmed off. It appears to me from the pic, (because of #1,which looks like hoof wall attached at the lower right area) that #2 (which includes #1) may also be folded over hoof wall, but it's difficult to tell for sure from the picture. It may just be sole. If it is more wall, it will need to be loosened and trimmed off. #4 also needs to be trimmed back. You need to expose the infection so you can dry it off with the chemicals powders. It also looks like the heel on the right toe (not numbered) needs to be trimmed. It will take multiple trims and time to get the hooves back to where they should be. You can't really do it all in one go.

Here's a diagram I found on the web that gives a good overview. It says goat, but it's the same for sheep. There are Youtube videos as well if you search.
upload_2017-8-22_9-59-48.png

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 37894

#3 is folded over (overgrown) hoof wall that needs to be trimmed off. It appears to me from the pic, (because of #1,which looks like hoof wall attached at the lower right area) that #2 (which includes #1) may also be folded over hoof wall, but it's difficult to tell for sure from the picture. It may just be sole. If it is more wall, it will need to be loosened and trimmed off. #4 also needs to be trimmed back. You need to expose the infection so you can dry it off with the chemicals powders. It also looks like the heel on the right toe (not numbered) needs to be trimmed. It will take multiple trims and time to get the hooves back to where they should be. You can't really do it all in one go.

Here's a diagram I found on the web that gives a good overview. It says goat, but it's the same for sheep. There are Youtube videos as well if you search.
View attachment 37895

Wow, that was pretty great! Only thing, #4 is the meat. That is the horn, I believe that's what it's called anyway. It's the toe of the hoof. I've been trying every morning and every night to keep it clean and disinfected.

You mentioned something about chemical powders. Is there a specific name I can look it up under to see if any of stores carries?

Also, his hoofs were trimmed about 2 months ago. The only reason I didn't do it to him or the rest of them is because I've been reading that trimming too often stimulates growth. Is it OK then to trim them or did I misunderstand. Totally possible.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The #4 I was referring to was the hoof wall that forms the toe point at the front. There's meat inside that, but it too needs to be trimmed back as it grows out as well and will make the front of the toe too long. I may be seeing something that isn't there as the pic isn't 100% clear... I think what it comes down to is you trim them as needed... If they need trimmed, and you DON'T trim them, then you end up with what you've got there... a mess. :hide

I'm dealing with a similar issue here with my goats and trying to get their hooves back in shape. We've had a lot of rain this year and their hooves have become a mess. I'm having to trim them about every 2-3 weeks. Hopefully once they're back to where they should be, I can back off trimming so often.

There's some detailed procedures here if you scan down the page. "The control of ovine foot rot is based on several management practices that decrease predisposing factors, and on the treatment and immunization of infected and susceptible sheep. The best results are obtained when several of the following methods are combined." https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/410/410-028/410-028.html

You should be able to find powders and or liquids at the local feed store or TSC, or you can order online. An example (liquid) would be Dr. Naylor Hoof 'n Heel which is zinc sulfate.

Last edited: