For the love of beet pulp!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
A few weeks ago we had a cold spell, the goats were clipped down and the weather was just nasty.
I bedded the barns down but the does were still chilly.
So I went ahead and mixed up a big bucket of beet pulp and poured a couple gallons of hot water over it. Let it soak in for a few minutes and gave it to the goats. They have never eaten soaked beet pulp, the older does would never it eat when we tried feeding it years ago. But the chilly goats made me sad so I had to do something.

Went out and poured the slop-like soaked beet pulp into the feeders. Sure enough, all the does gathered around and dove into it. They loved it. They were "talking" the whole time. After the warm meal they all seemed quite content. I did this for several days, in the morning and evening until the cold spell passed.

Now whenever it gets chilly they turn into monsters and scream until I give them their warm meal :lol:
Seriously, they are crazed for it now!

Here they are- waiting for supper.

032.JPG 033.JPG

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do this for my 12 goats AND 20 head of mini horses!!! In winter. Keeps water in their systems when they may not drink as they should, easy to digest forage, great for these elder horses who have "hay" issues. It is a whole lot easier to store than hay bales, also. Love the stuff. But, like most feeds, it has doubled in price of past couple years.

You should be out there from the looks of those "desperate" goats....you are slacking! :lol:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
My goats never knew what pellets or sweet feed was until I introduced them to them....some days I ask myself...What was ya Thinkin?.....but, it gives me time with them and if I rattle pellets in a plastic container they come Running....which has been rather valuable a few times since we've had them....:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish I could feed mine like that, but if mine get that close with food there is always head-butting going on and there is 1 that will always end up in control....I only have 3, but it is a fiasco to feed them....everything has to go according to "Routine"....or else....:)

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ours are like that too, all the lamanchas are brought up and put in the stanchions for individual feeding as are the does who are in milk. The dry mini's and ND's get feed in a few different feeders, but they get along okay and don't need a lot of feed like the standard does do.

This is just a warm snack :)

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
We do have a few does that are really low on the pecking order, just plain wimps.

Often times I just let the out of the fields and let them chill out while I milk, feed, and hay all the other animals. I've been doing this for a few months with Charlotte (lamancha). She's a good girl and "listens" to commands. :)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
The one at the far right in your pic that is on the gate, looks like she is wearing an Egyptian headdress with her ears and how the colors ar different than her head....especially when ya look at the LM on the left....:)

Latest posts