Forage

pfieber

Just born
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking to work up some of my old pastures this spring and would like to know what grasses would be best to plant for good forage. I do have areas that I can irrigate and others that I will have to plant that have no irrigation. I live in western Oregon.

Paul

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take a visit to your local ag extension agent to see which grasses are best for your area. I've heard someone say from somewhere that the best forage is the stuff that is growing the best already in your pastures.

Good luck

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Hey Paul!
North or south, western Oregon?

I need to figure out the same thing for my higher ground! I've done a little bit of seeding here and there with just the local feed store mix, but some day I will be ready to do some real seeding.

Mr. X has always gotten our seed from a guy in Oregon, he might know what you would need?

If you want his name and number, let me know and I will try to find it!

pfieber

Just born
Reaction score
Hi

I am in southern Oregon near Roseburg. I would like to get the name of the person who sells seed. Thanks.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Best advice I ever saw was "Take a walk down your road and find a spot in the ditch that gets baked in the sun all day long. The grasses growing there are what you want seed for." Can't ask for more than something that already has a good degree of drought resistance.

j.luetkemeyer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am in Missouri; however, I have decided to seed a product by Sucraseed called Cash Cow. It is a High Sugar rye mixture. It also contains Alfalfa and some clover. I am going to add to this mix Bluebunch Wheatgrass. I am also looking into specific herbs as well as some trees that can provide fodder.

Latest posts