Fostering a kit to an older litter?

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi!
My Holland Lop doe had 2 kits last night, one fetal giant and a normal kit.
I've never had luck with 1 kit living in a nest by itself...but I have another lop doe who has a litter of 6 kits that are one week old. Is 7 days too much of an age difference to foster a newborn into another nest?

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't bottle feed them...it's just never been successful with kits! I can bottle feed pretty much every other animal but not rabbits :(
I do have a Lionhead doe who just had a litter yesterday so they're just a day older than mine.
But she's a first-time mom and i don't want anything to go wrong...she seems to have milk and nipples though :lol:
I might put the kit in with her instead of the older kits :idunno

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks!
I would give her the kit but last time she had just 1 kit survive, she didn't feed it :barnie

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Really?! Any that were 7 days apart? :)

Yes, a friend had found four kits at her house during several days, ...the four kits were each diffrent ages and did not look at all related....I put them in with two of my NZ does that had kits they were nursing. They stayed here for three weeks ....and she brought them back to her place....:)
The kits came from (we guessed) her rabbits she "let run free" on her property. They were found abandoned by their mother....:bunny

Latest posts