Found BYC just in time for transition into BYH

chiquitita230

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
IMG_7675.JPG

Bianca's had a rough day! 110 lbs of pure pansy, lol!

IMG_7363.JPG
IMG_6922.JPG
IMG_6958.JPG
IMG_7080.JPG
IMG_7416.JPG
IMG_7467.JPG
Hi All!

I'm a first year chicken mama who was looking for sexing help with my "girls" this weekend and discovered BYC...just in time for it to go into read-only mode! Happy to have found BYH during the transition.

We currently have 11-week-old Easter Eggers, Speckled Sussex, and Silver-laced Wyandottes purchased via mail from Cackle Hatchery as day-old chicks. I would love to discuss chicken rearing, especially regarding these breeds.

I also enjoy gardening and have a cranky old cat (Nala), a Great Pyrenees who is scared of everything, especially ceiling fans (Bianca), and a sweet 3-legged blue heeler (Kali). I have a hubby who hates all things outdoors and thinks I'm CRAZY for chicken-ing, too!

Laura T-R

Last edited:

Ol Grey Mare

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi there, welcome to BYH! They've been so very welcoming to us during the remodel on our coop - glad you found your way over here!

Kyanite

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What beautiful critters you've got! I second OGM, this place had been great to us during the transition! I'm from BYC too, so Welcome to BYH, and I'll look forward to seeing you around BYC too one the move is complete.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! I don't have chickens, so I wouldn't be much help with yours, but hope you were able to find out the genders.

campingshaws

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
From what I see they are pullets. What has you concerned about them?

Cockerels by 11 weeks would have bright red combs and wattles, sharp and slender hackle and saddle feathers, brightly colored shoulder patches (for the EEs), and the starts of curved tail sickles. Your girls are just getting their pink combs as they enter puberty. ;)

Here's a pic of my brooder for comparison. These babies are 4 weeks old.
image.jpg

Akrnaf2

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm a first year chicken mama who was looking for sexing help with my "girls" this weekend and discovered BYC...just in time for it to go into read-only mode! Happy to have found BYH during the transition.

We currently have 11-week-old Easter Eggers, Speckled Sussex, and Silver-laced Wyandottes purchased via mail from Cackle Hatchery as day-old chicks. I would love to discuss chicken rearing, especially regarding these breeds.

I also enjoy gardening and have a cranky old cat (Nala), a Great Pyrenees who is scared of everything, especially ceiling fans (Bianca), and a sweet 3-legged blue heeler (Kali). I have a hubby who hates all things outdoors and thinks I'm CRAZY for chicken-ing, too!

Laura T-R
They all seems like pullets to me.

chiquitita230

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! I don't have chickens, so I wouldn't be much help with yours, but hope you were able to find out the genders.

Thank you! I've had lots of help promising me that my "girls" are indeed girls. *Fingers crossed*

chiquitita230

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
From what I see they are pullets. What has you concerned about them?

Cockerels by 11 weeks would have bright red combs and wattles, sharp and slender hackle and saddle feathers, brightly colored shoulder patches (for the EEs), and the starts of curved tail sickles. Your girls are just getting their pink combs as they enter puberty. ;)

Here's a pic of my brooder for comparison. These babies are 4 weeks old.
View attachment 33976

TY for the help and image! Images are so helpful as trying to find images of various ages of pullets thru maturity has been a challenge. I'm new to the "growth stages" and am still learning from others willing to share their wisdom.

campingshaws

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok, I went back through my pics and found some to help you in the future. I don't have the notes on their ages, but it's around the same as yours (more or less). I'll do the pullets first, and the cockerels in a separate post.

Young EE pullet: pattern on the breast in subdued colors, pink comb and no wattle development.
image.jpg

Young cochin/EE pullet: uniform color all over.
image.jpg

Mixed pullet: this one was difficult to tell until she was grown. Dark pink comb and wattles, and dark, brassy red feathers should have indicated male. But her patterning is uniform, which was the only female clue.
image.jpg

Same bird, older, with another pullet.
image.jpg

Same birds and a few of their hatch mates. Only a couple were roosters.
image.jpg

EE pullet about the same age as yours.
image.jpg

RIR mixed pullet:
image.jpg

Hatch mate RIR mix cockerel. Thicker legs, redder face.
image.jpg

Grown hens, EEs and varying mixes.
image.jpg