found my number one predator

grass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
the wifes dog got loose yesterday....she ran the cows right thru the fence....spent yesterday and most of today looking for my 2 young calves. finally they were found.wife put the word out to all the neighbors in a 5mile radius. a couple farm hands 2 miles up the road seen em out eating in lastyears cornfield.talk about a chore catching them. i finally got em cornered in a pasture field and got a harness on one...walked him back to the woods with the other fallowing..tied him to a tree and finally caught the other...needless to say i just got back from tsc with an electric fence...gonna put me a strand or 2 up to keep the dog out and the cows in...i'm just happy we found them,we have to much time and money tied up in them to let the dog run them off.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Dogs sure can be a big problem when it comes to cows!
I hope the electric fence works!

Our neighbors dogs ran my herd through a fence, luckily it was just a cross fence and I didn't have to go look for them. My fix was a simple one, I just told the neighbors what I would do to their dogs if I ever saw them near my cows again!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
glad that you found your calves.an was able to get them home.a hotwire will help but it wont keep dogs out of the pasture.you may have to shoot any dogs that chases cattle.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
If it's the wifes dog, maybe some one on one training, with the calves and dogs would be a good idea?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Put an electric strand real low for the dogs and get a shock collar. Work with the dog and if it doesn't learn keep it penned/tied. Or as wynedot said, shoot it-not easy to do if it's a pet though.

grass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
my wife wants me to test the fence with the dog on a leash....shes even told me to put it low enough the dog gets a shock if she does go in the fence again ....this dog of hers never goes out of the house without being tied up.but i have another dog that runs free all the time when shes let out ...she even kinda guards my chickens when they are free ranging. its amazing how different the 2 dogs we have are around the animals.

grass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
the fence goes up thismorning while my boys are church....wifes even gonna help me with it

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good luck with keeping the dogs out. It's hard when the predator is your own animal.

grass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i gave the wifes dog a couple little shocks with the fence to test it ...hard to believe that little bit of a shock keeps cows in . i really doubt it keeps the dog out. as long as the dog doesnt get out loose again we should be ok. i think everyone here realized that the dog has to be tied up everytime shes taken outside

Latest posts