fox/coyote proofing

pintsofclove

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What are the best ways to fox/ coyote proof a pen? There’s a persistent fox looking at the goats.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
One good way: 5' 2x4 woven (NOT welded) wire fencing with hot wire on top and down low.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, fox shouldn't be an issue with full grown goats....Coyote though...

For Coyote think "horribly persistent agile dog"

As Bruce said, strong woven wire fence with at least 2 strands of electric. I would feel safer with 3. One at dig height, one at nose height, and one at top.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, yeah! Coyote are nasty.

I have only seen one near here in 20 yrs. Neighbor behind says he took out a small group 2 yrs back at far edge of his property. Avid hunter. Even keeps game cams everywhere! No livestock, just for own info. They're at his drive entry gates....yeah. Wrong kind of game watch? Smile, you're on camera! 😁

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
For Coyote think "horribly persistent agile dog"
And they run in packs!

My sister lives in Huntington Beach, CA. They have a coyote roaming the area. As you can see, it is quite rural there so having coyotes running around would be expected :th

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.39.46 AM.png

pintsofclove

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We tend to have more coyotes than foxes here, but one just keeps coming back! :hu Also they’re pretty much full grown but pygmies.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We tend to have more coyotes than foxes here, but one just keeps coming back! :hu Also they’re pretty much full grown but pygmies.
I would worry about pygmy goats with coyotes, but not with fox.

I would lock the goats up tight in a barn as soon as early evening.

I would still be a little worried about them during the day. Do you have a house dog that could do daytime patrols?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
In CA they have fox and coyote roaming the cities...along with occasional larger wild things. Easy food at dumps and trash cans, coupled with loss of territory make it happen. Wildfires have destroyed a lot of habitat.

pintsofclove

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would worry about pygmy goats with coyotes, but not with fox.

I would lock the goats up tight in a barn as soon as early evening.

I would still be a little worried about them during the day. Do you have a house dog that could do daytime patrols?
No we don’t have a dog, but I can lock them in the barn. But how do I know if it is too small of a space for them? It is fully ventilated but fenced inside the barn and about 4ft x 4ft.