Foxtail Hay and now an abscess...

TheNewMrsEvans

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I bought some less expensive hay that has a good bit of foxtail in it, mixed with grass/alfalfa...I figured they eat all of our weeds covered in prickly things, so foxtails should be ok. Well apparently not! They eat the hay fine, except yesterday while trimming feet I noticed one of my does had a scab on her lower lip. I picked at it and got out pus, but while I was looking at that I looked inside of her lip and there are foxtails stabbed into her lips and palate. I pulled out as many as I can and took away the hay. I checked the other's mouths and pulled out a bunch also.
I squeezed the abscess again tonight and emptied it out again. What type of antibiotic would you use for a mouth/lip infection? Also how can they eat weeds all over the property, but get foxtails stuck in their mouth from the hay???
I only have one bale left of the cruddy hay, so no big deal, but seems odd they would eat it up and have foxtails stabbed in their whole mouth!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is weird.. :hu

If she's an adult, I'd probably use oxytetracycline.. Bio-Mycin 200, LA-200, etc. For something localized and minor like that, I'd probably give her 3ml/100lbs, 1x/day for 3-5 days.

Also, flushing the wound with some kind of antiseptic would probably be helpful. Betadine or 1% gentle iodine would work.

Latest posts