Free Feeding A Holland Lop & Standard Chinchilla

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey y'all, it's me again, with another issue.

I heard that you should feed rabbits 2 tbsp. food for every 6 lbs. My rabbit Jumping Jack is between 4-5 lbs. and I still feed her 2 tbsp. My chinchilla Pedro is fed 1 tbsp. of Purina Rabbit Chow (Jumping Jack eats the same thing, and I've seen better results from feeding Pedro rabbit food rather than a chinchilla diet).

My dad wants to free feed them and I think that would be easier, but I don't know if I should. What do you guys think?

Also, should I put Pedro back on chinchilla food? (NOTE: He had hair loss and was very inactive and unfriendly/not too social when I fed him the chinchilla diet.)

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the chinchilla is doing better on the rabbit feed? So I'd keep him on what he's on. As for free feeding them they will get fat... which can cause health issues. Yes it's easier but... Not something I'd recommend and if you feed daily you know if they are eating and if they get sick quicker.

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like the chinchilla is doing better on the rabbit feed? So I'd keep him on what he's on. As for free feeding them they will get fat... which can cause health issues. Yes it's easier but... Not something I'd recommend and if you feed daily you know if they are eating and if they get sick quicker.
Thanks, @promiseacres!

How much should I feed them? It's kinda hard to feed them daily since my mom and dad are split up and I am only 12... Any ideas on that? (I forgot to mention half the stuff I needed help with (that go with this topic) in this post, sorry!)

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
start with the feed tag recommendations then adjust up or down depending on what each individuals needs, if you feel bones increase, if they're looking portly then back off a bit.