free ranging.....free!

lorihadams

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have been thinking about free ranging my rabbits to cut down on the cost of feed during the warmer months but didn't know quite where to begin. I only have 3 rabbits now that share a large hutch (all female) but want to get into meat rabbits and get a buck. So, here's what I tried today. I have a large wire, collapsable dog crate with a slide in metal bottom. The squares on the bottom of the cage are way too big and the rabbits could get out.....but if I turn the crate upside down...the larger holes are on top and the finer squares are on the bottom and sides and they can't get loose. So now my buns can free range for free! My waterer clips onto the side of the crate and I draped a towel on one end for some wind protection. Take a look!!! So excited!!! :celebrate

100_2669.jpg

jamespm_98

Just born
Reaction score
Looks good, I am working on the same thing. I have a small pen with a roof 3X3 that I put mine in while I am outside working and can keep an eye on them. They seem to love the grass and enjoy their time out. I have winder rye and winter peas planted in my garden as cover crops and have been either putting them in the cage to graze on it or have been cutting some and taking it to their hutch. They absolutely love it and will take the greens from me before I can get them fed. I notice on days I feed grass or allow them some time on the ground they eat way less pellets.

esagiddens

Just born
Reaction score
WTG, glad it works for you.

My next project is gonna be to build a rabbit tractor. It'll be a low built hutch, about a foot off the ground with a ladder to each section, with an attached yard. I just have to finish a few chicken tractors for my breeding pens first.

chinbunny1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Now that is proper free ranging and it looks like you are off to a good start. the rabbits look healthy. just make sure they are protected. glad you are not turning them loose to runfree like so many seem to think free ranging is nowadays.

You can also build pens with neat idea cube shelf thing you find at places like k-mart, and target. Sometimes they turn up at good will and thrift stores. Much cheaper to buy them there.

i have this that I sometimes put mine out in at night. I can't let out all day any more because the neighbors dogs have went after them.

horsechindoe004.jpg

horsechindoe003.jpg

SarahFair

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I let my flemish giant buck have the run of my backyard :hide
Hes not a digger and has never gotten out...

Is that bad?

lorihadams

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing some worm beds and suspending the rabbit cages over them....I'm pulling greens every day for them and seriously cutting back their pellets. They love it and my 3 yr old loves to help with the greens. We had to use the cage for transporting a rooster and when hubby got home he put it in the shed and I can't get to it.

Sarah-how do you keep your rabbit in the back yard? What kind of fencing do you have?

SarahFair

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Sarah-how do you keep your rabbit in the back yard? What kind of fencing do you have?
I have 4"x2" 5' welded wire

chinbunny1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here a couple more of my free ranging cages. Like I said large dog pens are excellent for them. The other two I made myself. I do provide water when they are going to be in there for more then a couple of hours.

luckybunnies007.jpg

luckybunnies006.jpg

luckybunnies005.jpg

luckybunnies004.jpg

blk90s13

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ever lost a rabbit to a bird yet ? those open top runs looks scary to me

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I had heard that they can get worms & diseases from the wild rabbit population - if you let them on the ground. We have a TON of jack rabbits & a few cotton tails around here. Is that a concern?