Free-ranging?

CountryFried

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bossroo said:
Instead of pigs to clear out brush in the wooded area, have you considered Dorper sheep ( known to be great browsers) or meat type goats? This is what the Forest service, cities and land owners do to economically remove brush, poison oak, ivy,etc. These would be much less labor intensive than moving pig pens every couple days around trees, knocking down brush around a 16' x 16' pen area every time you move the pen, etc.
When I bought my house and land, the only livestock I planned to get were chickens and goats. I briefly considered a beef cow and hogs, but my uncle pastures cows for someone, so I can get a good deal on those, and he said that pigs were a PITA to keep in a pen.

Had my dad come bush-hog the driveway through the wooded area of my land (it leads to a another home on our property that we want to rent out soon), but to be able to actually drive through, we need to get these hundreds of little stumps up/out. So I was googling about how to get them out, and pigs popped up as a way to clear land.

I started reading about it, and decided to go that route. I've always been a fan of pigs, as a child, I was allergic to anything with feathers or fur, so I latched on to pigs as my favorite animals, and I used to play with my aunt's hogs anytime I could. I will quite likely send goats through the rest of the land before I put the pigs on it, but the bush-hogged area is pretty much ready for pigs, if I understand things correctly.

What I've read is to send goats through to clear shrubs and vines and such to ground level, send pigs through to root out stumps, rocks, etc and till the ground, and then chickens to eat the weed seeds. That's pretty much what I plan to do in the future, but I need to get the pigs on this driveway soon, as I want to get that house rented, and I do not want tenants driving through my backyard to get to it. (Septic tanks all through the backyard)

Hmmm, typing this out made me think! Weeds may not be an issue with the fence, or much of one, because the area I'm going to start in was just done with a bush-hog about two weeks ago. Hopefully by the time they've gone through that area, I will have a goat tractor ready, but if not, my dad can always bring the tractor back up and bush-hog some more for the piggies to work on.