Freemotion.....pics p 3

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
elevan said:
munster, mozzarella and brie...my 3 favorite cheese :drool I'll volunteer to help and taste :D
No shortage of volunteer tasters. A real shortage of people who want to work.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Isn't it always that way. I always of plenty of people (usually kids) who want to come and "work" on the farm. But they just want to do the fun stuff like feed goats and collect eggs. They never want to clean the barn. I had one who was real persitant once and I asked her "why should I pay you to come and do the stuff I like to do and do the yucky stuff myself?"

I really want to learn how to make cheese. Do I have to buy a lot of stuff to get started or are there some easy ones I can do without much in equipment?

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm so excited to make cheese that I am either going to have to buy some goat milk from someone, or wrangle my friends momma goat and teach her to milk. :p My girls won't be producing milk for another 6 months or so.

From all my reading and learning, there are really easy soft cheeses you can start out with, that don't require any special equipment other than good cheese cloth.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Hoeggers sells a cheesemaking starter kit pretty reasonable...I saw, I bought, I made cheese. The end.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You can make farmer cheese from just goat milk, lemon juice and use a big pot and a colander or strainer. I'm sure it isn't as fancy as some of the other cheeses, but it tastes great!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Hoeggers sells a cheesemaking starter kit pretty reasonable...I saw, I bought, I made cheese. The end.
Really?!?!?!? (bringing up a second tab with Hoggers on it) :weee

OK, I bought the "Cheesemaker's Pantry" kit. Do I need a specific type of pot (aluminum, stainless steel, etc)? Can I use frozen milk? I have lots froze but I can milk Jaz. She hasn't been milked this freshening but her babies are still nursing.

Oh, I bought the soapmakers starter kit too......

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
You need a stainless steel stock pot. Aluminum is reactive and shouldn't be used (period, imo!) with anything acidic, and cheese is acidic. You also need to be able to disinfect your pot....I simmer water in mine and stick my skimmer and knife in to disinfect those, too, just before making cheese.

I use my aluminum canner to put water into and place my stainless steel stock pot inside that to warm large quantities of milk.

I've never tried making cheese with frozen milk but others have. There is a big texture change...the milk gets grainy and often separates, so I'm not sure how it will work out. For simple cheeses, it is probably fine. I wouldn't attempt the more complicated cheeses like gouda or cheddar with anything but fresh milk, personally.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Goat milk works just fine after being frozen. Cows milk can be an issue.

Don't use aluminum when making cheese.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I got my stainless steel cheese-making pot at Big Lots, Jodie. I think I paid 10$ for it.

Free....You gonna decorate this thing w/ any pictures? ;)

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You guys are a bunch of enablers. I am never going to get my house clean at this rate. Since y'all got me all excited about cheese then y'all are going to have to be bugged with my stupid questions for awhile.

Free, I would love to see some pics of your setup. And the critters of course.