French Angora & Californian- Jack Frost

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
our 2 litters of French Angora's are getting bigger, we have separated the bucks from the does.

this past weekend 3 of them went to their new homes- pet and also for their fiber.

Will try to add a few pictures!

Last edited:

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today, the kids had rabbit judging and showmanship....it went pretty well but took a long time......when we left the fair around 6 pm they were still doing showmanship(started around 11 am) :thso we wont know results till tomorrow on that for the kids. DS(11) and DD(16) both felt they didn't do very well.

As for the breed judging on the Californians:
DS showed:
senior buck- got a red (2nd place)
senior doe- got a red
jr buck- got a white (3rd place)- wasn't put together to well
jr doe- top blue

DD showed:
Senior buck- top blue- rabbit was very well put together
Senior doe- 2nd blue- her coat wasn't is the best condition, otherwise she would have won
jr buck-top blue- good body type
jr doe- 2nd blue

The jr does and jr bucks are all litter mates(dam was DD's sr doe and sire was DS sr buck).

DD also took Champion in the Californian class with her senior buck!

Our Angora rabbits didn't do as well- given the hot weather it's hard to keep their coat in good condition.

they didn't have senior bucks to show

DS showed
senior doe- she got a 3rd- she was lighter over all
jr buck- got the 2nd blue)beat out by his brother that DD showed)
jr doe- got a red- something about her body being long

DD showed
senior doe- she the 2nd blue- her coat was rough edges
jr buck-top blue- very nice(his dam is the sr doe DD showed)
jr doe-2nd blue-good body type but needs density & texture

it was hot here today so the rabbits were all crabby by the time showing them was done!!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
2016 fair is over and all animals are back home all together. Funny how rabbit math works, we took 16 rabbits and came home with 18 rabbits. We came home with 2 new rabbits, both does. 1 is a REW-French Angora and 1 is a REW-Satin Angora.

We will get some pictures to share once they have had a while to settle in.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I think I balanced the numbers again :lol:, 2 of our FA's went to their new home last night. Just few more rabbits to go and the numbers should be at a reasonable level. Now the decision that has to be made is if we look for a Satin Angora buck....;)

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm to lazy to start a new thread so I will just ask here- we processed some Cali rabbits and I am working on wrapping them for the freezer. I am using freezer wrap paper- double wrapping and them putting into jumbo sized(2.5 gallon) storage bags.

Any suggestions on what works for others would be great!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Vacuum sealer. Not for rabbits yet, but they'll fit in the bags and it keeps meat fresher a lot longer. I usually repackage bulk meats into meal sized bags with the sealer and I popped some dove open the other day that is literally 2 years old (I name and date my bags) and no freezer burn!
The bags aren't cheap but the Walmart brand ones work in the food saver no problem. I'm saving up for a bigger vacuum sealer.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a vacuum sealer and have tried to use it but have run into problems if there is too much liquid and if any bones are jagged. I do like how the vacuum sealer works!

Latest posts