French Angora & Californian- Jack Frost

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, we couldn't wait and peeked briefly this afternoon- looks like she had at least 4 healthy babies- she was actually pretty cool about me looking. I gave her some sunflower seeds afterwards :cool:

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
So the babies are 8 days today, the doe is doing a very good job with them and still protective so our checks are kept short and few.

From quick counting we have 5 very good sized ones and 1 small one- they were all doing great but mid-day today the smallest was found out of the nest box and cold....we think it was attached on to the doe and she brought it out by mistake so it didn't make it. Bummer because it was doing a great job of keeping itself full.

Here is a picture we took of 1 baby: we think it will be either a blue or lilac tort, others are white(3) and fawn(1), the smallest one that didn't make it was colored like the one in the picture.
2014-03-27 15.49.21.jpg

Of course it was not staying still and decided to pee on me- my kids found that funny!

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry you lost one but 5 is still pretty good.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
yep 5 is good as this is her 1st litter(2nd breeding), these are big babies, we have been giving the doe extra black sunflower seeds to help her maintain body condition. Looks like the babies eyes are starting to open.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
So what is the general thought on when to start handling the babies? With our Cali babies- we have waited until they start coming out of the box- roughly 3 weeks old. Given that we are planning to use the fiber for spinning and a calm bunny is much easier to work with- is this a good time frame as well?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of our babies- they are ~17 days old now. They were out of the nest box this morning, looking around and following the doe.

French Angora-5 babies-4-6-2014.jpg

Here is one from a few days ago- they were napping in the nest box- the 3 white babies have gray on their ears and nose....not sure that any are ruby eyed white like the buck.

French Angora- white babies-4-2014.jpg

Here is our newest buck...he is different lines then what we have. It will be neat to add his fiber into the colors we currently have. He is about 9 weeks old
Olaf- Blue French Angora-4-2014.jpg