French Angora & Californian- Jack Frost

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
We added French Angora rabbits this year- 1 buck-white and 1 doe-fawn. We have had them since they were 8 weeks old or so. They are now breeding age. My DD has been learning how to spin their fiber with a drop spindle and my DS(8) has been asking to learn.

We have been thinking about breeding them and wanted to know if those who work with Angora rabbits- clip the doe's fiber down somewhat to help keep her cleaner prior to breeding? We have them in a heated shop so them aren't out in the elements.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thought I'd post a couple of pictures. We did go ahead and breed the pair and if all goes well, expecting kits around Feb 2nd. :fl It will be interesting to see what colors we might end up with.

Here is our buck-Jack Frost: He is very sweet and loves attention. He belongs to my DS(8).
Jack Frost-French Angora-buck-1-5-2014.JPG

Here is our doe- Cashew: she is more temperamental/reserved. She belongs to my DD(14)
Cashew-French Angora doe-1-5-2014.JPG

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Can't answer your question but must say angoras are a very pretty rabbit. I read up on them a while back after seeing them in a post here and learned a lot. I had no idea that angora was so much warmer than wool. Be interested to know what color kits you end up with.

DwayneH

Just born
Reaction score
are there any tricks to raising them, different than normal bunnies?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
They do need to eat a wool blend formula of pellets to help prevent wool block- they lick/clean themselves like a cat would be can't cough up the hair balls. The wool formula helps pass the fur through. Ours get free choice hay out of a feeder just so they don't get it into their coats. We do keep ours in wire cages- shavings and straw/hay get into the coat pretty easy and then it is harder to clean out the fiber. We comb ours out every other week or so based on if we see the coats getting tangled. We found that a cat slicker comb works well for us. Takes us about 15 minutes per rabbit as we have French Angoras- so their faces, ears & legs have short hair. We start at the bottom of the rabbit and work up to the top so we don't miss tangles and can separate out the layers easier. Once they get their adult coat they shed their coat every 90 days or so. Any fiber we comb off we learning how to spin with and make into yarn.

Other than the different food and combing them out, they don't seem different compared to the Californian rabbits we raise.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
So we added the nest box yesterday for Cashew, she checked it out and when we did evening chores she was hopping in and out of it. We are now in the last week :fl, we also have 1 Cali doe due as well.

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hope they all come thru for you, I had a new doe due last nite(second try) and the nest box is still empty this morning.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well today is day 36 and no babies :he for either doe. Thinking we will be re-breeding this weekend and try again.

RedBrush Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I do not trim up my girls before breeding. Once they start nesting, I do make sure that they have pulled enough hair from their bellies so the kits can nurse. Once you have kits, you need to check often that they do not tangle up in the long hair and strangle themselves. I have had this happen and felt absolutely terrible that I had not checked more often. I have 2 litters that are just turning a week old. They were 4 and 5 days later than expected. I have another that was due yesterday, but as of today, nothing but a nice snugly nest..... Good Luck:) Hope you know that once you get the kits you are hooked. You will want to keep them all:))