French Angora & Californian- Jack Frost

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
thanks...my youngest DS is asking to keep them all :rolleyes: trying to figure out what the correct color term is for the white ones- have to make sure that he could show them if one is kept.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
So here are some updated pictures of the babies- they are about 11 weeks old now. 2 of my kids will show 4 of the babies at our local 4-H fair in July.
Fawn- male
Fawn-FA-boy(2)-6-11-2014.JPG

Tort-female- not sure if she is just a tort or a blue tort
Blue Tort-FA-girl-6-11-2014.JPG

Sable- male
Pearl FA- boy-6-10-2014.JPG

Sable- female
Pearl FA- girl #1-6-10-2014.JPG

Unsure of color- female
Pearl FA-girl #2-6-10-2014.JPG

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
So my kids showed the doe & buck plus 4 of their kits- 2 jr does and 2 jr bucks at our county fair this past week. The buck ended up with a 3rd (white)-he is a pound under weight but had very nice fiber. The doe ended up with a 1st (blue)- she would have won her class but her coat wasn't all back from having the kits- very nice and dense fiber. The fawn jr buck- took 1st blue, had a little nicer coat than his litter mate- Pear jr buck- who took the 2nd blue- had better body confirmation but his coat wasn't as good as the fawn buck. The 2 does both had very similar coats in fiber and density but the tort doe won 1st blue as the pearl doe's front shoulders were low. The tort doe ended up being reserve champion in the class they showed in. DD plans to keep the tort doe and so we need to find homes for the other 4 kits.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
i started at the beginning of your thread and have read all the way thru. love your bunnies, they are so cute! i had a friend years ago who lived in the D.C. area and would comb her bunnies then spin their fur, then weave it into scarves and shawls. even back then she sold them for hundreds of dollars each. now would be the time to teach the kids to spin and weave. and I'm like you, i love blue... right now all i have are blue maran hens and roo and blue EE.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
i started at the beginning of your thread and have read all the way thru. love your bunnies, they are so cute! i had a friend years ago who lived in the D.C. area and would comb her bunnies then spin their fur, then weave it into scarves and shawls. even back then she sold them for hundreds of dollars each. now would be the time to teach the kids to spin and weave. and I'm like you, i love blue... right now all i have are blue maran hens and roo and blue EE.

thanks! we are slowly learning to spin- myself, DD and DS(9)- we started learning on a drop spindle and now have a spinning wheel- not very good at it yet...lol

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
need some feedback on question, our REW buck is 1.5 years old and needs to gain about 1.5 to 2 pounds of weight- he was underweight at fair when my DS showed him. He is on full feed getting a wool formula, with black sunflower seeds and old fashioned oats. Any suggestions....we are wondering if his frame is naturally small and that we might not be able to get the needed weight on him without making him fat

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
we feed free choice timothy/grass right now but plan to switch over to alfalfa and see if that helps. Now just to find someone who has alfalfa....several people that I know with hay have a grass mix similar to what we currently feed.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
So we finally found a good bale of alfalfa hay, only cost me an 8 oz jar of maple syrup :thumbsup. We are now slowly adding the alfalfa hay into their regular hay and will see if this helps. The rabbits are of course excited to eat it!