French Angora & Californian- Jack Frost

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I am total crap at telling colors on a mature angora. Jersey Wooly - oh, yeah, easy peasy, but the "real" angoras, not so much.:hide

I agree with @promiseacres that in that picture and on my screen, the ticking looks much too dark for a dilute (both Opal and Lynx being dilute colors). It doesn't look quite heavy enough for Chestnut - perhaps Chocolate Agouti? Not sure, may be a little too heavy for a smutty Orange. It might be a bit too heavy for a poor-quality wide band color too; but from here, it looks a lot like the Flemish Giant's Sandy, which is a wide-band Chestnut.:idunno

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I am total crap at telling colors on a mature angora. Jersey Wooly - oh, yeah, easy peasy, but the "real" angoras, not so much.:hide

I agree with @promiseacres that in that picture and on my screen, the ticking looks much too dark for a dilute (both Opal and Lynx being dilute colors). It doesn't look quite heavy enough for Chestnut - perhaps Chocolate Agouti? Not sure, may be a little too heavy for a smutty Orange. It might be a bit too heavy for a poor-quality wide band color too; but from here, it looks a lot like the Flemish Giant's Sandy, which is a wide-band Chestnut.:idunno

so how would we tell if he's a chocolate agouti?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
so how would we tell if he's a chocolate agouti?

Look at a place where the dark color is at its most intense (ear lacing is good). Is it black or brown? If it's brown, he's chocolate. The eyes of chocolates are usually a slightly lighter shade of brown than the "normal" brown eyes of black-based colors, and often reflect red (the so-called "ruby glow") when you get the light angle right in subdued lighting.

Chocolate-based colors on the pedigree can help to clue you in that the chocolate gene is likely to be present, though their absence doesn't rule the gene out. Recessive genes can lurk for generations before the right pairing happens.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look at a place where the dark color is at its most intense (ear lacing is good). Is it black or brown? If it's brown, he's chocolate. The eyes of chocolates are usually a slightly lighter shade of brown than the "normal" brown eyes of black-based colors, and often reflect red (the so-called "ruby glow") when you get the light angle right in subdued lighting.

Chocolate-based colors on the pedigree can help to clue you in that the chocolate gene is likely to be present, though their absence doesn't rule the gene out. Recessive genes can lurk for generations before the right pairing happens.

thanks for the information- we will take a look at him again. We did look at the pedigrees and both sides show chocolate, chocolate-tort and steel-chocolate

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is my chocolate chestnut velveteen lop...not sure it will help... but he's a cutie. :cool: NCM_2904.JPG looks chestnut, but not quite.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a chocolate agouti Jersey Wooly once. I named him Kodiak because his sort of gold-brown color reminded me of an Alaskan brown bear.

In Mini Rex, red is non-extension plus rufous, but without wide-band. It can be tricky getting all of the ticking off of the reds, so one way to do it is to breed reds with chocolate genes - chocolate is so close to red in color, you really don't see a change in color on the hair. At the moment, I own one Mini Rex buck that is a red (showable) and one that is a chocolate castor (non-showable) and you almost have to have the two of them side-by-side to spot the difference.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
for now we will hold on to Cadbury and see what his adult coat looks like.

In other happenings- we lost Cashew- our 1st FA doe-she was 4 years old. DD went out to start morning chores yesterday and found her.....we do have her last litter- 4 bucks and 1 doe-not sure if we will hold any back.

Latest posts