Fresh batch

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My doe had 9 babies last night. At least this time she built a nest. Last time all six froze and starved to death. This morning i moved the nest into the nesting box. She had 9. 1 was dead and 1 was very cold but still moving. Those two were apart from the others and exposed. I warmed the 1 in my hands for a little while. Hopefully this time she will feed them . should i be checking on them daily to see if any died? Also, they move around alot. Will she feed all of them if they are not bundled up in one spot. They are new zealands

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes check them. Not only for dead ones but to see if their bellies are full, then you'll know if they're being fed. How big is your nest box? The correctly sized box should keep them together fairly well.

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The nest box can fit two full grown nz if they squeeze together. I made it out of a blue plastic bin and cut a rounded door in it but left the 1 or 2 inch lip at the bottom so the babies dont get out

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
An appropriately sized nest box should be just a couple of inches longer and wider than the doe herself. If the box is too big, the doe may be tempted to sit in it, peeing and pooping and maybe even squashing the kits. What I would do is remove the babies and the nest, and pack nesting material into the box, leaving just enough room for the doe to fit in. I would make a low spot well away from the door, and put the babies there, covering them with whatever fur there was in the nest. Babies instinctively seek the warmth of the nest, so they should tend to stay together if the doe isn't constantly in there, stirring them up.

Latest posts