Frick and Frack, my two little bulls

ReluctantFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
just wanted to show off a couple little bulls I took to the sale today. Hated to get rid of the one on top, but such is life.

1E2B9A70-27BB-4717-AD4D-517559DAC9AB.jpeg

B730074C-5B54-4BF9-BE51-C0A791A9A772.jpeg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you also take the steers? How about the heifers that might have been bred? One thing I didn't mention. IF you kept the heifers to get preg ckd.... if they are less than 3-4 months, they can be given a shot of lutalyse. It will cause them to abort. Have done it several times that I was afraid of a heifer being maybe bred because the bull got into the field, or for whatever reason. Once they start hitting 5-6 months, they will start to look more "pregnant" and it will hurt their saleability plus it is not safe or smart to give one that far along a lute shot. Just something you might want to also discuss with the vet. If you just decided to ship them and the bulls and the steers then a moot point.
I have had the unfortunate surprise a few times where a heifer calf still on a cow has come into heat and gotten caught by the bull that is breeding the cows. We have 2 places that once the bull goes in he is there for 6 months due to difficulty getting the cows moved to a place where they can be caught up to be ckd or moved. Most places we try to leave the bull in for no more than 90 days. 90% of our cows will settle to the bull in the first 45 days in any place. There are a few that are stragglers, but getting the bull out isn't always a big priority since most settle fast and easily. It makes for the calving window to be shorter. And we have shipped a few that were like 60 days when everyone else was 6 months....
Just saying, there could be some alternatives if you kept the heifers and they do turn up "short bred" like 2-3 months....