FROM THE BEGINNING:The story of the creek

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks, so as to provide some context to the "update of the creek".I will begin to tell the story of the restoration.But you will need to be"patient ",as the amount of time required to put this together is considerable.I will start as soon as time permits,you are welcome to ask questions at any point and I will endevour to answer them...T.O.R.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
watching. Take your time, Most of us here know you've got quite a bit on your plate right now.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
The fact is that this is not all about the repair of our creek –line. We were in fact confronted by a set of circumstances which questioned the future of the farm and how we managed it into the future.

What is your “vision” for the future is it, Productivity, Sustainability or Profitability?

Productivity is easy “how deep are your pockets?”

Sustainability is a little harder “it seems to me to be dependent on your market, your livestock choice and the productive future of your land”.

Profitability is by its very nature the hardest to predict. There is a saying in farming” How do you make a small fortune from farming? You start with a very “large fortune”.

In 2008 in the midst of one of the worst droughts in our 200 year history we were confronted by the farm as shown in the pictures below.

IMG_0288.JPG
overhead farm 015.jpg
3-09.JPG

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
In 2010 the drought broke and the same three sites were photographed again.(SHOW PIC”S)

By this time our thinking had completely changed and the restoration of the creek was well under way. So, what drove the change and how was it achieved?

We will explore these questions in the next installment of: From the beginning.

dec 2010 a.JPG
overhead farm 064.jpg
dec 2010.JPG

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow... quite the contrast.