frozen milk to make cheese?

Long Last Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am a total newbie to making goat cheese, but the several batches of soft cheese I have made so far came from frozen milk, and they came out fine. I have not made any hard cheeses yet.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We often freeze milk for use when the does are not producing as much... like now. Thaw it in the refrigerator. I freeze in half gallon plastic freezer containers, so they stack in the freezer, and it take a couple days to thaw in the frig. It is fine. We've made chevre and yogurt using frozen milk and the results come out just perfect.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Never made cheese with frozen milk.

But, we make the chevre and freeze it all the time.

danielburns271

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Frozen goat's milk is fine for making cheese. For any recipe, you are going to need to heat the milk to a liquid state. When heating, make sure that you stir almost constantly, otherwise the milk will burn. It's helpful to have a thermometer because the recipes will require that you will need to get it to a specific temperature. Hope this helps

I heard that the frozen milk when thawed can be used to make butter in a blender. You might try this one too.;)

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why do you think that is a bad idea? Folks have done it successfully so I think it's a GREAT idea! :D

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is an ancient thread but just in case anyone wants to know...you CAN make feta from frozen milk. I let it thaw in the refrigerator for almost 4 days and then pasteurized it. Normally I would pasteurize before freezing but someone gave me this milk and it was already frozen. No separation at all when it thawed and it set up just fine. I am really excited about this because if I have milk left at the end of the week that hasn't sold I can freeze it and make cheese in the does dry time.