Full House Farm's kidding thread 2018/19... A little late.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, I'm a little late this year since we have 10 babies on the ground. Better late than never, right?

We had four Nigerian Does due in October and they all did great.

October 17th- in the wee hours of the morning- Aravis (our @OneFineAcre 4 yr old doe) kidded first with triplets- she's had a single and twins twice. She had a black polled buckling, a black polled doeling, and a little tan buckling. The two boys are reserved to an awesome pet home with one of the other doelings.

On the 19th Spice had two little bucklings all on her own moments before we pulled in from picking up my daughter from work. She's had doelings the last two years so she was due for some boys I guess! But, her udder is absolutely amazing! This is the third freshening we have had her for and before we got her she had never been milked- just fed her babies for 8-12 weeks and then they were weaned so we've seen improvement every year. Unfortunately two days later she wasn't acting like herself. She had a 106-107 fever. I treated with LA200 and banamine with no improvement so 24 hours later I gave her Draxxin. She actually started eating great again and acting better but her fever was still over 106. Took her to the vet at 4 pm. He did (well, myself and my daughter mostly did while he instructed) a uterine flush and another abx. She was back to normal with no fever the next morning. We think she had a small piece of tissue retained since she passed the placenta after birth and nothing large came out with the flush. She went on to take Best Doe in Show at our County fair on Saturday, four days later.

I'll add more in next post...

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Come on, we need pictures! Congrats on the kids you have already on the ground. Glad spice turned out to be okay, and took best in the show!

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, I'm a little late this year since we have 10 babies on the ground. Better late than never, right?

I'll add more in next post...
Come on, we need pictures! Congrats on the kids you have already on the ground. Glad spice turned out to be okay, and took best in the show!
Aravis triplets
Spice and her buckling
Aravis her triplets
ChampionSr Nigerianlineup. One in the second row isn’t our goat- the rest are. :) And there were lots there!
Spice- best doe in show with one of our 4H kids (we needed helpers since we had so many win!)

Attachments

• 8070234D-5767-40D8-8C06-4FC57E377F86.jpeg
    8070234D-5767-40D8-8C06-4FC57E377F86.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 115
  • 5313C32F-37A6-4C65-AC47-6B4EB2A49F6F.jpeg
    5313C32F-37A6-4C65-AC47-6B4EB2A49F6F.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 134
  • E20AEE55-828D-4E49-BA4D-4733612CC02E.jpeg
    E20AEE55-828D-4E49-BA4D-4733612CC02E.jpeg
    356.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 84093EB1-AECD-4821-9F92-FC027D7491A8.jpeg
    84093EB1-AECD-4821-9F92-FC027D7491A8.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 104
  • E20E40F0-54DE-49F9-A525-32006847CEDF.jpeg
    E20E40F0-54DE-49F9-A525-32006847CEDF.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 111

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, I figured I'd better finish the last ones before January kidding starts.

So we thought for sure Gwen would kid before we had to check in at the fair but she started early labor 30 minutes before we had to leave. (It's only 30 min away.) So, we decided to leave my 9 year old who is very good with goat births home with our horse boarder who was at the barn anyway. I had the camera in the stall too. I told her she'd probably pop out triplets before I even got to the fair. Gwen had d/b/d triplets as a FF and 2ndF. By herself both times with us catching her right as the last one was born. So I wasn't overly worried. Well, she just stayed in "early" labor for 4 hours. Not pushing or anything super concerning, but on the way home D, my 15 year old and I knew we would be going in to see what was going on as soon as we got home. Sure enough, we found a backwards sideways little doeling. Once we lined her up she came right out just fine. Whew. A few minutes later, a huge boy came out all on his own just perfectly. Then we waited joking that to keep up she needed to give us another girl. I felt a bubbly but she wasn't pushing much. After 20 min I went it again. Found a leg. Got baby turned around and oops- back leg. Then found a ...ouch! Toothy mouth. Pushed the leg back in and got her out. It was a little iffy for a few minutes but after rubbing and sucking out her mouth and nose she came around and was good to go. We joked about calling her Hokey Pokey. Turns out she was almost 4 lb just like the buckling. The first girl was 2.5#. Amazingly Gwen seemed unphased by all the action going on, wasn't really even swollen, and didn't have any other complications.

Watlles (real name is GCH Hidden Gems Son Blue Sky) was due about the 31. She ended up having them around 4 am on Nov 1. We got her bred for her third freshening and she had twin buck. (One is our Butterball/Tumnes who fathered Spice and Aravis's babies this year.) The next year we bred her to Drinian and she had lovely twin bucklings again. We really wanted a keeper girl from her and paired her with Drinian again. She also has issues with skin cancer on her tail and even though it seems to be better it's always a worry it might get worse. So, we were thrilled to get TWIN DOELINGS this year. Both tan and white with blue eyes and one with Wattles. One is reserved and we are keeping the other but haven't decided which one.

So starting around Dec 7-10 I have 7 does due in 10 days. Eek. 2 are FF Lamanchas, 2 7 yr old Lamanchas, 2 Nigerians (one that always has quads) and our 4 yr old grade Lamancha. Starting the coffee fund now. Trixie, one of the 7 yr olds is looking huge too even though she has always had twins. So I could have lots of babies.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congrats on your kids. I wish I had more color in my goats. My kids were born in March this year. My oldest doe will be 4 in March. She had a single doeling as a FF (died) and a 2F. Her third freshening this year she had a buckling and a doeling. My almost 2 year old doe had a single doeling this year. I have two young does that hopefully will give birth after they turn 1 this coming spring. I am hoping next years kids will be mostly girls and hopefully some twins and maybe a set of triplets. :fl By the way my goats are pygmy's.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congrats on your kids. I wish I had more color in my goats. My kids were born in March this year. My oldest doe will be 4 in March. She had a single doeling as a FF (died) and a 2F. Her third freshening this year she had a buckling and a doeling. My almost 2 year old doe had a single doeling this year. I have two young does that hopefully will give birth after they turn 1 this coming spring. I am hoping next years kids will be mostly girls and hopefully some twins and maybe a set of triplets. :fl By the way my goats are pygmy's.

I think Pygmys tend to have singles and twins more than larger "littlers" of kids. It seems that after 1-2 fresheneings our does stay somewhat consistent. Some have twins every time but might throw triplets once or twice. Others tend to have litters like Orchid that seems to think Quads is the thing to do. Honestly, twins and triplets are the best. Most our goats can feed triplets just fine since we breed for milking, but I know lots of Pygmys can't so singles and twins can be a blessing. I have a milk customer who breeds Pygmys and she buys milk from me if she has triplets or even twins sometimes. We usually pull 1-2 of Orchids quads because even though she has enough milk for 4 (she milks around 1/2 gallon a day if no babies on her) one or two are usually smaller or more timid and get pushed away and need some extra. Last year we supplemented the doeling with 2-3 bottles a day and then stopped when we sold her boys since she had mom all to herself.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello, good luck with all your kidding comming up...we are in florida also...love your "Florida-land of the endless parasites " right there with you on that !

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think Pygmys tend to have singles and twins more than larger "littlers" of kids. It seems that after 1-2 fresheneings our does stay somewhat consistent. Some have twins every time but might throw triplets once or twice. Others tend to have litters like Orchid that seems to think Quads is the thing to do. Honestly, twins and triplets are the best. Most our goats can feed triplets just fine since we breed for milking, but I know lots of Pygmys can't so singles and twins can be a blessing. I have a milk customer who breeds Pygmys and she buys milk from me if she has triplets or even twins sometimes. We usually pull 1-2 of Orchids quads because even though she has enough milk for 4 (she milks around 1/2 gallon a day if no babies on her) one or two are usually smaller or more timid and get pushed away and need some extra. Last year we supplemented the doeling with 2-3 bottles a day and then stopped when we sold her boys since she had mom all to herself.
When my older doe had her first kid her udder was not that big the whole time to weaning. It was also larger on one side. She only had a single then. I would milk out the other side a little to help even it out some. This year she had twins and her udder was completely different. It got so big. I actually don't know if they are full pygmy or pygmy/nigerian. I started with a pygmy doe and either a pygmy/nigerian buck or he was full pygmy. I don't really know.