Fully enclosed run fencing ?s

GoatChickenMama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi! I am looking to build an 800 sf fully enclosed run for goats and maybe also for chickens.
I live in the mountains with mountain lions, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, bears, etc and the location for our run is near trees, so wilhout a top covering on the run, it seems that many predators could easily go up a tree and then pounce down on the goats. My ? is this. Are hog panels strong enough for the top of an enclosed run, horse panels are probably stronger, but they are also a LOT pricier. If I use chainlink, does it have to be a certain guage. So far the best options I can see are to use hog panels on the top, or no climb woven fence 2x4. On the sides are hog panels acceptable, I could add hardware cloth as well. My husband isn't interested in getting a LGD, so the fully enclosed run is the current plan if we can find a plan that will be affordable.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi!....:frow
I'm not sure I'd be one to offer ya a solution to that situation, but a few things do come to mind. You would have to consider the strength of the supports that the panels would be attached to, because if a man can bend a panel, then a bear will certainly bend it. You have to consider the possibity of a female with cubs, which would be more weight and force pushing and pounding on it from the top. The openings would allow for "Reach In" room too....either from the top or the side. It would be quite an expense to hardware cloth every panel. This would also apply to a cougar, but they are usually solo hunters. If ya look at the wildlife agency traps for these animals, you will see they aren't flimsy for a reason. Ya might want to fence and area, even cut down a few trees, and get a building, house, shelter, or shed that will accomodate your animals and let them out during the day and put them up securely at dark. Ya would come out a whole lot cheaper in the long run. Good luck with whatever ya decide. :)
Again....:welcome

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I understand your predicament. The mountains are nice, but not very convenient when you have animals. Most likely, the only predators you need to worry about from the top are hawks and raccoons, maybe cats. Hog panels should be fine for the top. Hardware cloth is pretty flimsy, so adding it may be a waste of money. If you reinforce the sides, hog panels will most likely work. Staggering the hog panels on the sides would definately make it stronger, but that could get a little pricey.

GoatChickenMama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I plan to frame the structure with pressure treated wood and it would be tall enough to walk inside. I'd love to go with the horse panels but it's like a difference of $60 per panel. I was using the hardware cloth basically to protect the chickens on the bottom of the structure. This is the cheapest option I see, but the holes seem too large....http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h?cm_vc=IOPDP2

GoatChickenMama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Is the gauge important? Is 6 gauge good enough? These are a good price, but only 6 gauge.
4″x4″ Utility Panels
P3_4x4Panel.jpg
Now stocked in three heights:
3′, 4′, 5′, 8′
4″x4″ Spacing
20′ Length
Galvanized
6 Gauge.192″ Diameter

20′ x 3′ 38 lbs. $35.90
20′ x 4′ 50 lbs. $45.90
20′ x 5′ 62 lbs. $55.90
20′ x 8′ 95 lbs. $85.90

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome

I suspect coons and foxes can walk through a 4x4 hole (and the climb), likely you would need to add hotwire to the outside to keep them away from the fence. I would think that 6g wire would be more than adequate. Field fencing is usually 12g with 10g top and bottom wires.

Whatever you use on top will have to be very well supported no matter what it is or it will sag.

At night the chickens will need an appropriately sized coop which is predator safe.

GoatChickenMama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
:welcome

I suspect coons and foxes can walk through a 4x4 hole (and the climb), likely you would need to add hotwire to the outside to keep them away from the fence. I would think that 6g wire would be more than adequate. Field fencing is usually 12g with 10g top and bottom wires.

Whatever you use on top will have to be very well supported no matter what it is or it will sag.

At night the chickens will need an appropriately sized coop which is predator safe.
Thanks for those thoughts Bruce.

GoatChickenMama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm thinking that 2x4 no climb on the top might be the right way to go for the roof.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! Fortunately I don't have to worry about as many predators as you do, so I don't have any suggestions, but wish you luck.