Future Homesteader from South Louisiana

knoepsn

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So, I’m a stay-at-home mom to four year old triplets. We recently moved into the new home we built on 22 acres in South Louisiana. It’s a dream of mine to begin homesteading on our property and I plan to begin with chickens… well, technically I’ve begun by composting, but I want to start my acquisition of animals with chickens, then goats and a milk cow or two and a few pigs... I’m an animal lover and have to be careful or I’ll end up with a zoo!!

I have a lot to learn and am grateful for sites like this one to learn from. I grew up on a farm in Missouri where we had cattle, sheep, pigs and chickens, so this isn’t my first rodeo. However, that was decades ago, so I need to brush up on my skills! I also have a lot of questions, like guard dogs and guard animals. We have a crazy amount of predictors here. 🤦🏻‍♀️ And some of them are a danger to humans too, so I need all around guard everything’s! One of my triplets has Down syndrome, so I’m looking for a dog to protect my livestock, but also to be his guide and support!!

There are so many reasons why I want I begin homesteading, but most importantly, I want to teach my children how to love, respect and care for animals and live more/mostly self-sustained. I had an incredible childhood because of my farm and I want my children to have the same experiences. of the demands of young children and a special needs child I am not able to go back to work. So I’m home the majority of the day and because God has blessed our family, I have the time to learn about homesteading and to take on the roles and responsibilities of growing our own food and caring for our animals.

Thank you in advance for all of your knowledge and wisdom!!! I’m looking forward to digging into this site!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Howdy neighbor! I'm right next door to you in east Texas. Trinity county to be specific. Congratulations on the new farm and home. You have come to the best place on the internet for friendly people, farm animals and learning.

Chickens are a good place to start. Just don't add too much too soon. Goats are good, if you have dairy goats, then you don't need a milk cow. A few dairy does, rotational breeding to keep one in milk all the time and you'll have all the milk you want. @frustratedearthmother will even leave a kid on her doe, in case she can't milk for some reason. When she wants milk, she pulls the kid for the night, milks next morning.
Several other people who keep milk goats and can give you better advice than I can
@rachels.haven
@Mini Horses

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome!
Looking forward to hearing more as you go along.
I'm in So Cal, with sheep and chickens (for eggs).

Latest posts