Gardening For Your Goat

stano40

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Organic Gardening For Your Goat - This year I am planning to expand my garden and plant for not only my family but to feed my goats and chickens. For me organic is using no pesticide's or chemical soil enhancers. All the hay and straw that I have from the goats, ducks, geese and chickens winter bedding will be rototilled into the garden bed several times before planting.

My list of veggies and greens that I am planning on are: beet greens, beets, corn, carrots, onions, tomato's, parsnips, rutabagas, turnips, swiss chard, kohlrabi, sugar baby watermelons, pumpkin, sunflower's, sugar snap peas, cauliflower, a gourmet greens blend, sapomiel melons, cantaloupe, bush beans and to add for a pasture hairy vetch, white clovers, buffalo grass including a pasture mix seed.

Of course if I can't get my rototiller running I'm in a little trouble.

I'm really curious what other members do for a garden to feed, prepare the soil their goats and livestock.

bob/Maine

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:frow Hi Stan40

My sheep eat the organically treated grass and organically grown apple leaves etc. That is about all they need. I am thinking about letting part of the pasture grow (remove the sheep) and then cut and dry it for hay during the winter. Our climate is mild year round, so I wont need much hay for them. We have grass all year.

(My yard never looked better! I love my sheep!! I haven't used my mower since last May!)

(I have a pig rototilling and fertilizing my new garden for next year. :p)

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Bob, you've been holed up with the seed catalogs we just got in the mail.

LOL so have we. Been looking at the maters, taters, and punkins,
and all the other good stuff.

Going to clean out the 12 inches of deep litter in the chicken house and till it in.

DonnaBelle

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sounds like the pile of seeds in my fridge. :cool: I'm getting away from the tilling gardening method personally. I do as little tilling as possible and I'm working into raised beds by adding lots of compost from the chickens and will be using the soiled bedding from the goats as well. Starting seeds indoors already, although I think I'm getting a little carried away and should really wait another couple weeks. Our frost free date is around May 15. My basement will look like a jungle by then. :lol: Happy Gardening!