Gardening Thread 2021

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well ... sheesh....

I was doing the wet paper towel thing with some seeds....

And I hadn't poured enough water into the tray from which they were wicking water... they dried out... and what was super odd... is one of the folded over paper towels opened up and spewed its many seeds all over the tray...

Maybe the parrot did a fly by.... :hu

Anyway... got it sort of set back up...

Here is a shot of my garden
20210329_100545.jpg

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a lot of snow! Temps are rising here and we might be out of the rainy season. Grass (and weeds) are growing like crazy. The miner's lettuce is knee high in some places.

Grandma in law was over this weekend and she has grown rhubarb before, she instructed to cut off the stalks as the plants would concentrate on seeds instead of more leaves if I let them continue. She is going to share her sour cream rhubarb pie recipe, so hopefully I will be able to make that this summer.

I potted up cuttings and planted some canna bulbs. I trampled down all the weeds growing around my potted plants and watered everything. Some of my bare root plants are starting to get tiny leaves! The blueberry plants have flowers! Even the brand new 'jelly bean' variety I just bought a month or so ago!

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Still waiting on clover, rye and vetch to get some growth, make it worthwhile to turn under. Got some tilling done Saturday to make room for some red potatoes, carrots and radishes. Lettuce, dandelion, arugula have sprouted got them in raised split barrels. Rained off and on all day Sunday. Stupid shift I'm on 12-8:30pm leaves me with just the weekend to do much. Ready to get back on 6am-2:30.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still waiting on clover, rye and vetch to get some growth, make it worthwhile to turn under. Got some tilling done Saturday to make room for some red potatoes, carrots and radishes. Lettuce, dandelion, arugula have sprouted got them in raised split barrels. Rained off and on all day Sunday. Stupid shift I'm on 12-8:30pm leaves me with just the weekend to do much. Ready to get back on 6am-2:30.
Pictures of the garden??

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20210330_083447990.jpg
Left of the pea trellis, clover in the back mix of rye,vetch,clover etc it's a fall mix I tried from Johnny's seeds. Little spot I tilled to kill chickweed. The circle of rat wire was to block of a cottontail that likes Italian Dandelion. Didn't matter it died.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Last partIMG_20210330_083511566.jpg
Tall pole in front is a straight trellis that I grew Dr martin pole beans they get big. Google it they are huge beans. Trellis to the left is for sieva beans. The green is chickweed, a skinny row of wheat, orchard grass back left I keep for my rabbits. Tilled sections are for the taters, carrots.
I didn't know that trellis was that straight. Lunchtime is over and I've bored you enough for now.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
View attachment 83607
Rye and vetch, hanging stuff on the right is leftover from asparagus bed, poles on the right is for snap peas if they ever sprout.
Whoot! Love all of the pictures!

As for peas... even though they grow great in cool and damp weather, I have found they don't always sprout that well that way..

If you soak all of the seeds overnight, so the peas start thinking of sprouting, then plant, I have had better success.

Also, if I have the space, I just barely start them in pots... so as soon as they come up, transplant.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Whoot! Love all of the pictures!

As for peas... even though they grow great in cool and damp weather, I have found they don't always sprout that well that way..

If you soak all of the seeds overnight,
Always heard plant by St.Patrick's day but it doesn't always work out to well. I should buy treated seed but it slips my mind until after I've planted and start wondering . I'll have to give the soak a try next time.

Latest posts