Gardening Thread 2021

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The circle of rat wire was to block of a cottontail that likes Italian Dandelion. Didn't matter it died.
It will help for the next rabbit. You know there will be another.
I was a little upset I wasn't done with more planting outside. It works out since were having another freeze tomorrow morning. I may even have to replant the cucumber and okra.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In truth I'd rather have the rabbit. 2 years ago I came home to find a big mound of dirt with a hole in the middle. Scared I had a fox den in the garden turned out to be a ground hog. I flushed him out with the hose went in to get my pistol and it disappeared. Never came back thankfully. Neighbor said it lived under shed. It partied while I was work ate half a row of greens. IMG_20190825_192232775_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
This little dude was last summer. He liked cherry tomatoes.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes gardening! My favorite! So I mulched and turned my garden with rabbit manure/straw.
I planted peas and carrots and beets and mustard and spinach and cilantro and turnips. And onion transplants. It has been super windy and dry here. Not a great combo for seeds so. I also put grass seed and clover mix on the lawn. I do have dandelions coming up, leave some for the bees, but my rabbits are so happy to have fresh greens.
I have 2 trays of broccoli cabbage collards cauliflowers inside doing good. Still too cold to plant out.
Just started my peppers and tomatoes, I know I am a little late but it should be fine. Every time I plant early it is cold and they are too big in my house.
Garlic is up.
I have my seed potatoes chiting.
To the others who are planting store potatoes, you will get much better results from seed potatoes, certified disease free.
I pruned some of my blues and raspberries.
The fall gold are my favorite as well as queen Anne. The yellow rasp are so delicious. I ordered a few more and blackberry and strawberries. I have lots of strawberries just plant more every year. I don't even know why I mess with the blue berry they are finicky. I can go to Blueberry farm and pick gallons super easy. 2.00 a pound. The birds eat alot of mine. I may net this year blackberry too.
Comfrey is up no asparagus yet.
Has anyone ever gotten a honeyberry aka Saskatoon? I have 4 bushes and have yet to have a berry.
I can't wait for a fresh tomato too. And spinach. And asparagus. Cuke. Zuke. Kale. Carrot. Berries. 🤤
25 last nite and tonite, and tomorrow high 36 Burr. Not done with freezing yet.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The fall gold are my favorite
I just got one this year. I've never had them before. Good to hear something good about them.
I don't even know why I mess with the blue berry they are finicky.
I'm trying again for the 3rd year. The 1st year I put wood ash in the area to fertilize, then found out that it sent the alkaline numbers in the wrong direction.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I just got one this year. I've never had them before. Good to hear something good about them.

I'm trying again for the 3rd year. The 1st year I put wood ash in the area to fertilize, then found out that it sent the alkaline numbers in the wrong direction.
I put peat and Sulphur and use acidic organic fertilizer once a year and mulch with rabbit manure/straw/leaves. Is best to buy the oldest bushes you can find.

Attachments

• 16172134203298616972991472033031.jpg
    16172134203298616972991472033031.jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 64

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
At the Blueberry farm, it is like a forest of blueberries, the bushes are like 9 foot high in rows so long and thick. I love going there. In Michigan the soil is very sandy, they grow great there. Also blueberries need cross pollination.
I'm much better at raspberries, but the spotted winged drosophila fly is a big problem. If you pull off the berry and the stem is red, look in the berry closely you will see tiny clear worms. Can't see them in the yellow ones. These are a huge problem. As far as I know they don't affect blueberries, but they say they can.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to have a long stretch of blueberries... I bought 2 of ever kind offered from some fancy nursery....

I think I remember that they like coffee grounds?

Anyway... one year we had a rodent explosion... no joke... and the little voles stripped the bark and sap wood from every single teeny tiny blueberry branch and stem... killed them all.

I never replanted.

For those with dandelions... use the young leaves as the greens on pesto. Tastes great.

Also... if dandelions are up, are the ferns up? The fresh young ferns are also good. (I think though... that i read that some ferns are toxic... better check what grows in your area before eating).

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Peas are coming but not as thick as I planted. Bought some treated snap peas seeds at the Southern states dealer this morning. Figure I'll go ahead and put some more out see what happens.
I've got the market cornered on chickweed if anybody wants some, be glad to send it your way.

Latest posts