Gardening Thread 2021

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
A place for us all to share our gardening stories and progress.

Me... I can't find my little table top grow light... sent kids to search...

No idea where I put it ..

Bummed...

Put a few basil seeds in a pot a month back... but house temps are too cold, so no sprouts...

I am thinking of trying again....

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a grow light, and I think at least two heat mats. I know where one mat is but not the other stuff. One if the fun things that comes with having lots of people help you pack your stuff to move. I'll find them eventually...after growing season I bet.

I have fig cuttings rooting in the living room, I think I need to upgrade their pots and figure out if they will do ok outside. I want to start some seeds soon and build some raised beds.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Alaskan edit the title and add 2021. Then next year we’ll start a new garden thread so this one doesn’t go on forever. Looks like you got 2 threads going, delete the other one. If you don’t know how ask @Support or @Nifty for help.

Hooray! A garden thread!

I got out potting soil, flats and plastic pots yesterday. I have 8 flats ready to plant.

I already planted 3 bundles of white onion sets. Before our 100 year record breaking winter storm, I planted English peas, mustard greens and turnips right before the storm. I planted garlic and potato onions last fall. Then the storm hit and everything got buried under 10” of snow.

My garden looked like a seed graveyard

1B9DD552-22E9-474D-8F9E-C1F9B53913DD.jpeg

E03F1B7B-FB67-4BD3-BC85-33091A3AC5FD.jpeg

Believe it or not, the garlic and onions got freeze burnt, but survived -6F temperatures. The mustard, turnips and English peas hadn’t come up yet, so were insulated under the snow and are coming up now! Kinda spotty in places, but coming up!

Today I’ll plant my flats. I’m ready to rock n’ roll!

@CLSranch its time to start seeds. What ‘cha gonna plant?

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@CLSranch its time to start seeds. What ‘cha gonna plant?
I usually start the herbs inside. I've had some garlic out side in a planter that just never got ready. I noticed the other day the leaves were completely wilted and dug them up to find baby bulds rooting out so I replanted them. It's kinda late but I do have some potatoes that are past ripe and starting to bud that I can plant.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I well the wife took 1 of 3 "pockets" of elephant ears out of the flower bed last fall. It turned into 3 pots in the kids closet with several bulbs in each container. They are 2' tall with no light or water. The one's still in the flower bed haven't came up yet. It's about time to replant them and give some blue berries another try before they are not in the dormant stage. Thinking about doing raised beds this time for the blue berries to help with the alky soil.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I mixed potting soils and filled pots and flats. I got out my seeds and planted broccoli and purple cauliflower, 1 flat of each, 6-pack little pots. The seed packets were dated 2014, what the heck. I have a LOT of seed packets that I planted some out of, I'm gonna try to plant lots of old seed and see if any of it is any good. If it is, great, if it isn't, then it isn't taking up room anymore. If none of this comes up, then I'll go buy some plants.
I need to get my tomato seeds planted!

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I went to 2 different friends house's yesterday and forgot again to pick up some of their treated lumber for my blue berry raised bed. One has new wood leftover from a new porch the other is taking off a ramp to an existing porch.
I wanted it done before going to town today after church. Where we get feed they usually have blue berry and various others this time of year.
They didn't make it last year so I have to re-plant. I added some fertilizer several times last year to bring up the acidity of that spot. Hopefully this year is better.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We got started on the tilling. Small patches by hand. Picked up new blue berry and raspberry plants. One raspberry is Fall Gold. I never heard of it it's golden like the name really looks like a clear to unripe berry but I'll give it a go. Got a few herbs that we always have trouble with as seeds and picked up more seeds. I also cut some boards to make my raised beds. A much lower quality wood from crates from work than the thicker pressure treated lumber that I forgot to pick up Sat.