Gardening Thread 2021

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have a drought here! Was 85 today! Windy. Dry. My garden and seeds are thirsty! Rough start to the season. I love those huge heat mats where can i get them? I need to resow a lot of seeds that didn't come up because of cold and dry. Now the clock is ticking! Oh and watch out for the ticks, found 2 on my dogs ear the other day. It

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have a drought here! Was 85 today! Windy. Dry. My garden and seeds are thirsty! Rough start to the season. I love those huge heat mats where can i get them? I need to resow a lot of seeds that didn't come up because of cold and dry. Now the clock is ticking! Oh and watch out for the ticks, found 2 on my dogs ear the other day. It

About the same here. Ticks are dependent on your area here. A few weeks ago, I was at the neighbors the (the neighbor) wife was complaining about the ticks on the dogs and the grand kids. I've had 1 I think was from here. I suggested the $200 worth of 7 dust and permetheryin in my tractor sprayer in trade for well $200 of product and my sprayer to use with my tractor to spray it with. It's still not fixed. I also noticed yesterday I went to a neighbors ranch to look at house with a bee colony in it and to move my swarm trap. I noticed I got several on me with a few on my son, who was barefoot.
The reason to give away the pesticide was to not have it in my yard, not because my ants left. I have a lot of chickens and the neighbors guineas cover every side of the property.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I bought a Sevin product at Walmart maybe 8$. It's a pellet not dust. So far haven't found any on me or the dog. It has to be watered in. I got it down before it rained end of March.
My potatoes all came up:D =D
I think that flower I asked about is a bluebell.
I won the mouse war, just waiting for the jalapeno's to sprout.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Organic over here. So no sevin lol. Haven't seen any more ticks yet. I did mow but didn't dust yet cuz it's too windy! Some of my potatoes are coming up. Now I have to find some straw to hill them. Straw is 8.00 a bale here! Anyway I was thinking about getting a new raised bed. Idk alot of money but I want really nice tomatoes this year. A nice garden! Picked some spindly asparagus. My collards from last year are starting to bloom. Gonna save some seed. I've been watering. It's so dry and windy. My water bill is going to be so much! Griz you are late on your seeds no? I'm trying to harden my plants off but it's so windy. Beat up my tomatoes pretty bad, poor things. Hope to garden much more tomorrow, less windy🤞.
So I went to this huge rabbit farm, and they put all the manure in their garden. The guy had like 300 rabbits maybe more. It was a huge amount of manure. I asked if his soil was only manure and he said yes pretty much. Is there such a thing as too much rabbit manure in your garden?

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as too much rabbit manure in your garden?
I know with chicken manure it's easy. Most like to let everything not chicken set for a while before dumping it in the garden. Horse manure can be dumped on top of tomatoes with out hurting, but not planted in it as well. I think rabbit manure isn't over powering but never raised any and not experienced with is.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In the past I used regular Sevin dust everywhere. Now I just use the pellets down one fence line. I get deer and dog ticks and lyme disease ain't funny. 2 beagles got it even using revolution.
I am kinda late with the tomato and peppers. I was good before the mouse. I don't plant any outside before Memorial day so I should be ok. For certain then I don't have cold nights. I've tried tomatoes earlier and they didn't do any better. No matter it's always the last week of July before I get a red tomato.
I don't know about overload on rabbit manure. To much chicken house manure will cause problems. To quote my Pop, " she's gonna burn that garden with all that chicken crap". I don't know if it's too much nitrogen but sure enough some of the neighbors stuff would wither. I put out alot of rabbit poop in wide rows with straw then cover it with weed barrier and leave it sit fall to spring. 4 or 5" deep. I don't use it fresh but I've read that it's safe.:idunno
I would rather use horse but man it gets heavy. A full bucket of dry bunny feels like it's empty. It's an interesting question.
I did get 6 stalks of asparagus today. DW likes it steamed. Dang mess one day it's 2 or 3" next day seems like it shoots to 2 feet. But she likes it so I grow it. Makes a nice screen when it spreads out.