Gardening Thread 2021

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep "maybe". Rain was a good happening, now may fizzle out West of me. :idunno

I had to make an unplanned trip to town, so went ahead and did a few other shopping things while there. Since I didn't start plants back when I should, I bought a couple tomato starts to have some on time, the rest can be later. ;) Will sow direct. Of course, hating prices, I found 2 that had more than one in each. I'm so cheap!! 😁 Purple Cherokee. Then I have 4 paste a friend gave me. Those starts will carry me to happy until the seeded ones come on and provide.

Will be out sowing summer squash, zucs, melons, beans, corn, peppers, tomato, eggplant and setting potato starts in a while. Anything else I find will be considered, as long as I can hold out! Loaded with seeds!! :clap

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Cloudy got dark for awhile nary a drop. Cut my grass. I didn't realize how dry it was made a dust storm. Transplanted some dandelions and arugula ( like that word) repotted some plum and cherry tomatoes. Since the little bird moved in my greenhouse the wasps have left. Might make her a permanent guest.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We worked in the garden again today, got two varieties of purple podded green beans planted, then we went blackberry picking. I figured we had an hour before the rains hit. It sprinkled and stopped. Sprinkled and stopped. It sprinkled and stopped several times. By this time we were pretty wet. Then the bottom fell out. We were drenched, went to the house. We picked over 2 quart bags.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
No rain here.....I had to WATER the garden dirt to plant! So, so dry. Of course, that settling of dirt seemed to show just a lot of ungathered clumps of dead --?-- grass and root. Really more work!! So, I did plant, except the corn. Later in week I'll get that and more. Next week I'll be hovering over every row for germination results.

Looks like TX is getting their rain and mine too!!! :old Not fair. :\

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We certainly have our share of dry around here. Our white sugar sand is devoid of nutrients, humus and usually moisture. Good thing is no mud, LOL. Water soaks right in or runs off. We have spent the past 6, almost 7 years working on our garden plot. It now has a good foot of black, rich soil that grows an abundance of bodacious WEEDS! Haha.
So now we are getting pounded with storms, raining now, not going out in a downpour to do chores. I’ll wait for a break.
@Mini Horses ill stand outside and blow real hard and send some rain your way. If that fails, do a rain dance.
Rain dance; build small fire in garden, dress in tattered garden clothing and mud boots. Put mud streaks on face, play some good ol’ rock n roll LOUD at the stroke of midnight and DANCE! :weee

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got some of the rain. 2 1/2". West of us a ways they got .6" nw of that 5" nw of that .46" like FL weather a 4 1/2" difference on each side of that strip.
This is the tomato trellis we prepared yesterday. I use cow panels on T posts, set 20” apart. I put up 3 cow panels, making 2 double rows. They work great and I never take them down. That’s my tomato plants happy place, they grow over the top, get to 10-12’ high. I totally recommend cow panels for super easy permanent tomato trellis.
I use the hoop method with my tomato's. I plant them on the inside grow them out then tie them up on top. I do the same with cantelope and cucumbers.
I let some of the red clover flower for the honeybees.
Bee's don't really do much with the Crimson clover. Which is odd they LOVE the little white flowers of clover.
Rain dance; build small fire in garden, dress in tattered garden clothing and mud boots. Put mud streaks on face, play some good ol’ rock n roll LOUD at the stroke of midnight and DANCE! :weee
If it don't rain the neighbors may come out and spray you with water hose. The garden still gets watered:lol:.
I go with water the garden heavily then go wash your truck. It's bound to rain once you don't need it.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Bee's don't really do much with the Crimson clover. Which is odd they LOVE the little white flowers of clover.
About 2 weeks ago I tried to take a picture the flowers were full and I had bunch of bees. But they wouldn't hold still. It's been so long since I had seen any I was gonna to ask if they were for sure honeybees.

It was all cloudy yesterday and I knew it was gonna rain. Wife called on her way home to say she was at the carwash. I even said it's gonna rain. Woke up and nothing.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was gonna to ask if they were for sure honeybees.
20210502_134614.jpg20210429_110020.jpgDo they look like this???