Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
62 lbs
20210918_131508-jpg.2837503

20210918_131606-jpg.2837505

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Rumor has it temps supposed to go down tonight 50's maybe hit the 40's. I'm ready for it.
I've picked my last tomato for the season.
Got another quart of blackeyed peas. The cool weather probably make the few remaining blossoms drop. I'm still confused how blackeyes have become a vine after all those years they were a bush. The tops are close to 6' weird.
Not one watermelon ripened. There are four out there now about the size of a softball. They get close and end up rotting.
Oh well. Get a soil sample, plant some clover and vetch. Prepare for next year.

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
WOW. My biggest ever was 95 that's a BIG pumpkin. You gonna save some seeds?
No, it's a hybrid. It is Big Moose readily available from Johnnyseeds and other suppliers. Unlike other pumpkins it starts out yellow (not green) and turns orange when ripe. It has yellow flesh that is extremely good for cooking. But who needs that much pumpkin to cook.

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Rumor has it temps supposed to go down tonight 50's maybe hit the 40's. I'm ready for it.
I've picked my last tomato for the season.
Got another quart of blackeyed peas. The cool weather probably make the few remaining blossoms drop. I'm still confused how blackeyes have become a vine after all those years they were a bush. The tops are close to 6' weird.
Not one watermelon ripened. There are four out there now about the size of a softball. They get close and end up rotting.
Oh well. Get a soil sample, plant some clover and vetch. Prepare for next year.
I got an 18 3/4 lb. watermelon from a seed saved from a seedless watermelon. It was ripe the first week of September and was pink fleshed, sweet and delicious.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No, it's a hybrid. It is Big Moose readily available from Johnnyseeds and other suppliers. Unlike other pumpkins it starts out yellow (not green) and turns orange when ripe. It has yellow flesh that is extremely good for cooking. But who needs that much pumpkin to cook.
I don't remember the type I had. Squirrels liked them so much they dig up the transplants for the seed. After that I let the kid pick a store bought one out for carving and bought a Mrs Smith's for dinner.