Gardner’s California Homestead

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A to not be outdone by Fudge, our registered doe Bubblegum gave us another single buckling on monday night. Hes a big boy and very active, climbing all over mama all the time. So excuse the slightly blurry pic, cant get him to stay
still lol. Hes got his Daddys black socks.

goat.jpg

Fudge was crying when i got home from work last night, i went down there to make sure she hadnt lost Clove under the hay feeder again :rolleyes: but she was standing in the barn right next to him. I thought maybe the one side of her udder was full so i got her on the milking stand and noticed her back end was shaking. It was maybe 35 degrees outside but not way out of the normal for evening temperatures. So i took care of all the other animals and brought Fudge and her baby inside the house to warm up. Im apart of this wonderful facebook group with so many knowledgeable goat people. I posted a video and they knew immediately it was hypocalcemia. I went to tractor supply, barely got there in time ( they are closing early now because of the quarantine) to get her some alfalfa pellets and calcium drench. I had no idea i wasnt giving them enough calcium now i feel horrible. Goat ownership has taught me something new everyday. They are probably the most complicated animal i have ever owned. I am so lucky to have the resources around me to help me with such things. And now i feel like im a slightly more experienced goat tender. Fudge is doing great and seems to be on the mend.:clap

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They also the pickyist lol.
lol, so true, i have a friend whos new to goats, she sends me a picture of a green yard and the goat standing in it, shes like "they wont eat my grass" lol oh they dont like grass or alot of things for that matter. i told her they will only eat the things you like, you know rose bushes, fruit trees, your pant leg. :lol:

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol yup however mine like our grass but its coastal so it's the same hay they get just fresher lol. They funny, I 'll go get branch's for them and hold them up high to make them stand on their back legs for them panda will even walk backwards for them. They are funny animals.

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Its been awhile, the kids aren't in school anymore and I'm working from home most of the time now so trying to get used to the new normal has been interesting. Its been really nice being home with them and the animals, but teaching 1st, 4th and 5th grade have proven difficult for me. We are doing what we can, and I have been trying to include alot of life skills into my "homeschooling". We have been baking alot, made a sourdough starter and been trying out new recipes. Measuring out stuff is math right? :yesss: The common core kills me, and by the time they go back to school they will know the old way. Sorry teachers :idunno Getting alot done around the property, repainting the chicken coop, getting my garden squared away.

We butchered our meat chickens this last weekend. Kids helped with plucking and did great for their first time. Ended up with 19 birds in the end. Ate our first one for Easter sunday, amazing! :drool there is nothing tastier than a homegrown chicken.

Kidding season is over as of last night my last doe had twin bucklings. Salt and Pepper.
IMG_1960 (1).jpg

My favorite doe Selena Goatmez gave us twin girls on the first of April. We will be keeping both. Sugar and Cinnamon.

IMG_1977.jpg

I have 16 lavender orpington eggs in the incubator right now on a trial run (new incubator!) they should be hatching this Friday :fl. If all goes well i will put in another 42 when those hatch. The demand for chicks is so high right now I ordered some leghorns and olive eggers about 6 weeks ago and they arent available til 5/12. Will be nice to add some color to my eggs.

In other news our farm cat has been really busy :lol:
sfs.jpg

Daddy goat Oreo does alot of the babysitting around here. Its extremely cute lol.

IMG_1971.jpg

I hope spring is treating everyone well. It is my favorite time of year.

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have two farm cats that are just as busy as yours! 😄
Love the kids, so cute,and Selena Goatmez made me laugh, I love original names like that.

He cant be bothered to be woken up to do anything, cant say i blame him, the sunshine has been much needed. My 9 year old named her that, makes me chuckle everytime lol. I hope its starting to warm up in your part of the world :frow

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
He cant be bothered to be woken up to do anything, cant say i blame him, the sunshine has been much needed. My 9 year old named her that, makes me chuckle everytime lol. I hope its starting to warm up in your part of the world :frow

It is getting warmer, but not exactly warm yet. Still have a fire in the woodstove in the evenings. 64 in the house doesn't work for me, even though it doesn't seem to bother my husband. Trees have not leafed out yet but the buds are swelling so there's still hope, haha.

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I transplanted some of my bee garden starts this last weekend because i like to live life on the edge and assume it wont freeze anymore this year :fl all good until yesterday.... my husband was doing the spring inspection on our two bee hives, which of course really upsets them. I guess i forgot to mention the hives in the original post. A little background on that.

We are beekeeping newbies. Went in on two hives with my husbands cousin in March of 2019, we eventually moved our hive to our place in April. This was my husbands project so i mostly just help him when he need extra hands. There is a sharp learning curve for first time beekeepers, a lot of upfront cost and so far quite a bit of maintenance cost. We have made our fair share of mistakes, had to re-queen once. Eventually split our overflowing hive in September of 2019. They are amazing creatures. I've been trying to learn more about them so i can be more active in their care. Not a lot of beekeepers where we are so we have been learning a lot online and through the random beekeeper we are able to meet. It has been an experience, both frustrating and rewarding. I love seeing them buzzing around pollinating our gardens and flowers, here's some pictures of our little helpers.

bee.jpg

This is the queen, with the pink dot. Her name is Cardi BEE. Shes the leader of our more aggressive hive.

bee2.jpg

To our delight both of our hives survived the winter, one in great condition and one unfortunately just hanging on. We are working on rectifying that now, and despite all our misteps are still trying to learn and do better.

So back to my flower start debacle. My husband was doing hive inspection, our 7 month old puppy: Honey

4.jpg
decided to scoot under the fence and go to the pasture with dad. Well the bees were all riled up and saw her and got very defensive of the hive, they were stinging her, she was running around trying to rub them off of her in the grass, and then in my flower beds with all my starts. :hit so most of those are dead. we got all the stingers out and naughty puppy hopefully learned something (probably not) :barnie

Latest posts