Garlic and ACV drenches....anyone use them?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been reading up on using garlic juice and UP/ACV as a monthly drenching solution for de-worming and immunity boosting for sheep and I'm going to start this month.

Anyone here do this with their sheep? Any results to report?

Anyone use Shaklees soap for deworming?

Anyone using a drench of any kind for their sheep?

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't drench them with it, but I do add raw ACV to all of my herd animal's water, also chickens and ducks too.

Would you mind sharing how to make a drench with ACV and garlic? Then please tell me the best way to drench them...not sure Dolly will hold still enough to squirt stuff down her throat.

I'm finally ordering my Shaklees this week!!!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
They recommend a 1:1 water/UP~ACV solution totaling 20 cc, they also add around 5cc of garlic juice (they indicated you could just add a tsp. garlic to the water/acv mix for this) and deliver that as a bolus with a drenching tool.

My sheep are easily controlled, probably due to their size, by wrapping an arm around the neck and holding the head up high, front feet off the ground.

An alternative is to spray the mixture on some sweet feed and even mix molasses in to disguise the taste/flavor of the garlic. The article I read stated that the sheep, once given the drench, really like the flavor but will hesitate to eat the sprayed feed the first time due to the smell.

I think mine would gulp down toxic waste if I spread it on sweet feed~! :p :lol:

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
We drench monthly for worms with a mix we found online....crushed garlic (or put minced garlic in the blender so that it doesn't plug up in the drench gun), molasses, apple cider vinegar, vitamin B drops (for humans), and open capsules of "green multi vitamins" (also for humans and no copper in it), and drench them. It's not a problem to drench since there are two of us, one to hold the sheep, and one to drench. We are supplementing their feed with the over sized, ugly yellow squash from our garden that are supposed to help with worms with the large seeds going through them. If that isn't helping for worms, at least we know they are getting plenty of vitamins.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmmm...didn't know squash seeds have de-worming qualities...knew that about pumpkins but not about squash! I'll have to look into that! :)

How is that going for you, bonbean? Any worm problems?

My one ewe hasn't looked really good all spring, after being real fat and sassy all winter. I'm thinking she doesn't respond well to these methods of deworming but not sure. If not, I will be culling her out of the herd.

She already has a few strikes against her right now but the poor maintenance this spring, when the other ewes are looking great, is definitely something I would cull for. I don't want any animal on this place that has to be coddled or cannot survive well on my husbandry methods.

Latest posts