G'day everyone from New Zealand....

Joanna

Just born
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
so nice to meet you all. I've found my way over here from your sister site BYC and really glad to have done so. I have a property in the South Island of New Zealand which has been left to me by my grandfather. I'm a real city girl from London, England myself but decided to get out of the race and travel down under for a new life of adventure, never done anything lke this before. I have 15 acres with some livestock and poultry and boy is there a lot to learn. There are some local people who give advice but i got the feeling they thought me a bit of a ditz when it came to country living and with help from forums I've started to get my head above water to show them they're wrong. I took the cottage and land on late in 2008 but sadly my father was taken seriously ill a few months later which meant I needed to go home again and nurse him. This year I have returned and the place is looking great. Although a bit off the beaten track I have met some wonderful people in the community who have been a fantastic help (some a bit more so) but until I get to know them better I don't like to be phoning or asking them questions every hour of the day. That's why the people over at Back Yard Chickens have been so helpful and I'm hoping I can tap into the knowledge here also. I thought chickens were a problem but now have a pig and some cows to contend with. At least it's peak summer here now and working outside is a dream. Hope to catch up with some of you now and then each time I visit.

Joanna

http://gardencottageblog.ruqqa.com/

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:welcome from another English gal! My family is from Essex but we live in Canada now :)

I have family who moved to New Zealand last year, they live somewhere called Dunedin, but thats not their mailing address because I seem to remember mailing their Xmas card somewhere else :idunno

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome! I've always wanted to visit New Zealand ... even before Lord of the Rings came out.

Are you on the North Island or South Island? I'd love to see some pics of your spread

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
michickenwrangler, she has a blog!

And Northern Ontario is very New Zealandy :)

Joanna, you certainly couldn't have found a better deal in the UK on a cottage as lovely as Garden Cottage with that much land! You're very lucky to have inherited it.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh I say, we should all run right over there and welcome her PERSONALLY. I bet the weather is positively balmy.

How far is New Zealand from McIntosh County, Oklahoma, USA??

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.

DonnaBelle.