Geese breed recommendations

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I had a white chinese and a brown Chinese female at one time and I loved them. We got them to guard our chickens but we would take them go walks and bring them swimming with us. Yes they are loud but they were like puppies. We also raised them very hands on and we had trained them to sit still when we were on our walks so if we came across a situation that may be dangerous for them we could scoop them up hold them over our shoulders on their backs and they would curve their necks around ours and tuck their feet to their chest and once we passed the area we would put them down and continue on our walk. I have met some testy ones but mine were very great.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our originals were also very hands on... this is what would happen when you left the door open.... :)
Aug. -Sept. 496.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol: I had some chickens try that the other day!

I cannot find the pictures but years ago we had this chicken that would freak out... always trying to get in the house.
Well, we opened the door and let her in... she walked around poking her beak in and over this way and that...
She eventually went into the closet where our laundry baskets were tucked away... of course filled with laundry...
She hopped up in one we closed ( not fully) the door and we suspected she wanted to lay an egg...
She did... cackling after the fact, then she jumped out , came out of the closet and went to the door to go back out.

I kid you not... CHICKENS CAN COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER!

Over the next few weeks we had hens lined up outside the door... all waiting to get to the laundry baskets in the closet to lay their eggs.
A LINE!!! :ep

It just became normal life for us and this group became the "laundry layers"... we had up to 4 hens at a time laying in the laundry baskets. :lol:
We made a big mistake though... we started giving them treats after they laid... so then they started going to the fridge after they laid for their grapes! :th

Miss those girls!

Pyxis

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party, but I breed Tufted Romans and I love them. They are the smallest of the domestic breeds deriving from the grey lag, so they're not very big - ganders only get to about 10 or 12 pounds. They are very docile and sweet. I've never had any aggression from any of them and my oldest female actually lets me reach under her to check eggs while she's on a nest. They also are good with children. My young cousins are around them all the time with no problems. The geese simply move away from them if they try to approach them.

They are great watchdogs too. They are, after all, the geese that saved Rome from the Gallic invasion. They alert at the site of a predator or if they spot a stranger pulling into the driveway. The rest of the time they are quiet and I don't know they're there.

Here's one of this year's goslings:

900x900px-LL-b3a808f9_Gosling3.jpeg

Sally Sunshine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have an Buff American, one spoiled very friendly goose I hatched, she thinks she is a goat since she grew up right along side them
20160705_092332.jpg
20160826_103522.jpg
photostudio_1491157582702.jpg
. I also have three others growing out a blue a lav and an Ice American.

Latest posts