Geese pros and cons

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess that is what it is called. The term for the breed is Chinese Cresteds though. I don't know why. The gander we had was extremely aggressive. Are your brown ones aggressive?
The lady I got them from raised them like pets. She said they loved to eat dog kibble from her hand. I tried it once, and one female got brave enough to come up and eat out of my hand. She also said the gander would always follow her around and goose her on the butt. (Is that where that term came from?😂) She made it sound like that was a friendly behavior, but I will not be encouraging that.

My gander has not been mean. I did have an issue with him protecting his two ladies when spring came and they started laying. I did not back down from his charges. Instead, I charged him back and gave him a few rolling lessons with my foot. Now when he “protects “ his flock, it is a token effort. So I would say he is mildly aggressive, but with restraint. To be fair, right now he and his two ladies are raising 10 ducklings, so I’m glad that he is protective. I expect that once they are done raising their babies, he will go back to the gentler personality he had when I bought them in January. But then, that could have just been because he was new here and hadn’t established it as his territory yet.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Look into Sebastopol geese. They aren’t cheap and maybe hard to find but I think they are beautiful and have some advantages over other geese. They can be quite friendly when handle from young, they do not fly well and aren’t as noisy as other geese. My friend has two and they are soooo sweet.

So does this mean its possible to raise geese in town? Or is that suicide?

I wonder if its possible to find a way to raise them in city limits or not? Maybe this breed you mentioned would work?

What do others think?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So does this mean its possible to raise geese in town? Or is that suicide?

I wonder if its possible to find a way to raise them in city limits or not? Maybe this breed you mentioned would work?

What do others think?

Not as noisy does not by any means mean quiet. So it would depend on your neighbors. It you want quiet poultry look into muscovy ducks. They can't quack, at most they hiss and they have some pretty colors you can get. Only down side is they can fly so would need their wings trimmed fairly often, The french whites we had flew more like chickens, short flights not really going any where but i know lighter muscovy can migrate.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some geese can fly as well my Toulouse geese can. And they can be loud when the get excited which is generally when they seem me , water, food or anything strange lol.

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thats
An elderly black lady taught me how to pluck ducks when I was five. She always pulled against the growth direction of the feathers and singed anything that wouldn’t come out or trimmed bits. Her praise was far better than my plucking deserved ;)
how I do it! Ive never had a problem plucking ducks or geese. In fact Id hate myself for skinning ducks and geese since half the flavor comes from the fat in the skin marinating as it cooks. I skinned two ducks for dinner once it was terrible and nothing was different about the way I cooked them EXCEPT the fact that I skinned them instead of plucking them for a change.
Jimmy hasn't quite gotten the hang of plucking yet lol but he tries so that counts

Latest posts