General Guard Llama questions

LoneOakGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have always had dogs, but not LGDs. I've read lots of info about the LDGs and llamas. I believe I'd be a good candidate for a LDG, but I've never had one. I'm willing to put in the time. My goal is to have the best protection for our goats possible. The coyotes around here seem to have no fear at all. They have been seen several days recently strolling around in the neighbors yards midafternoon. I'm trying to do my homework ahead of time for the best solution for us. We've been offered a LDG. I'm just a bit leery why he's wanting to get rid of his LDG since he still has goats. He told us he's cutting back on the number of goats. BTW, I appreciate all your help on both llamas and LDGs!!! Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can NEVER have too many LGDogs. :lol:
I now have to keep buying more goats to justify my LGD hoarding :hide ... we have 4 and will be adding 2 more. LOL
(Of course we have different herds and different teams in 3 different areas)
Elevan also made a good point, have you looked into donkeys?

LoneOakGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We've had donkeys in the past, just cause we liked them. We had the hardest time finding someone to come out & trim hooves. I'm leaning more towards the LGD. With the number of coyotes in our area, they may be the best protection.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We lost all of our winter kids last year to coyotes. Every single one over a period of 2 weeks. We had no guardian animals. We got an intact male llama (3yr. Old) and no more losses since. He helped this Spring during kidding season to clean off newly birthed kids and even on one occasion, put his nose under a kid trying to stand and assisted it to stand. The llama would stay right with the new mom and baby and bed down with them until the momma returned to the herd. We recently added a 2 yr. old female llama to the herd and now they both stay with the herd. The male llama was standing on top of a brush pile this week and both llamas were staring into it. In the brush pile was a young fox saying its last prayers before they killed it. Everyone is right, llamas are as different as humans, some have a good work ethic and some are lazy and just looking for a hand-out. LOL! It helps to buy a llama or other guardian animal that was actually raised with what type of animal you are wanting it to guard. Just because it is an Anatolian shepherd, or Pyr or a donkey doesn't mean that it will guard sheep or goats if it has never seen one.

LoneOakGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, the visual of the llama standing on the pile waiting on the fox! lol I would be devastated if I lost any of the babies to coyotes. So sorry.

LeviS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know this is a somewhat older thread but a bit more info never hurt right? I personally just have the one llama, he was intact but started riding the goats and was quickly castrated after that.

Even with just the one llama with my goats I have yet to lose a kid or goat. When I got my llama "Harvey" he was around 5-6 months, so he basically grew up with my goats...I think he thinks he is one.... He didn't come from a breeder or anything guard llama related, was just a small family farm herd that I got him from. But I think he does a pretty good job. He's always with his herd, usually taking up a spot where he has a good view (lots of rolling hills here). When I get a kid that gets her head stuck in the fence, he will stay somewhere in the middle of between the herd and said kid. When my herd is kidding he really really likes the babies, lets them jump on him and all the other antics the little clowns come up with. :rolleyes:

While I haven't actually witnessed him defending the herd from a coyote, he really has a sore spot for dogs. If someone happens to bring one up to my house, he will pace the fence snorting and stomping. So I guess one could call him a guard llama. :D I also think it helps that our coyotes up north don't really form a pack, that I know of, the most I've ever seen together were a pair...presumably parents?

Just my experience so far. If I were to do it again I would possibly try a female, maybe one that was handled more when a baby. Harvey wasn't handled at all and still doesn't like to be touched, though he will come up and eat from my hand. Its actually probably better having him the way he is, just kind of in the background observing.

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello there
We are planning on getting goats and maybe a sheep or alpaca or two in the next few years. I'm looking into llamas for some protection. We're outside Ann Arbor MI, and do have coyotes, but they don't seem to be a huge problem as someone keeps goats with only a electric fence for protection on the vacant land next door. I'm looking into a llama and alpaca rescue in the area and they help you find the right animal for your needs, so I think I could reasonably assume if they tell me the llama will be a good guard that it will be. Would you all recommend we start with the goats first or the llama? I'm thinking we'd prefer to start slow with either 2 goat kids, or 2 llamas (or 1 llama and 1 alpaca - I know they need a friend and the rescue often times has animals already bonded together in pairs), and then add more to our "herd" as we go, but we want to start with a shelter and pasture big

Also how much pasture would we ultimately need when have 6 animals of any combination of goats, sheep, llamas, alpacas? How much shelter space? we were thinking like 1.5 total acres split into two pastures for 6 animals. Does that sound right? we have 10 total acres, but my husband wants to keep quite a bit for hunting, and a pond.

thanks in advance!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother has used llamas before I think.

As far as the animals.... keep in mind sheep have different dietary needs than goats. Highly copper sensitive and can kill them whereas goats need copper. If you do get sheep do not get one, you must get two even if you have goats. I am sure you have heard the saying "birds of a feather flock together" this is VERY true of herd animals. Goats want to be with goats, sheep with sheep. Personally I do not recommend keeping sheep and goats together.

As far as alpaca and llama, keep in mind they must be sheared. You will either need to invest in the equipment and need to learn how to shear or you will need someone who can. For some this becomes a very big problem. The equipment is not cheap. Some animals need sedation as well.

For many llamas can be hit or miss as far as guarding. I yield to those that use or have used them. We exclusively use Livestock Guardian dogs. They deter and defend as well as "help" on the farm.

1.5 acres split in two meaning .75 acres- first sheep will have grass on that size gone in 2-3 weeks meaning 2 sheep. Goats are more browsers than grass grazers. Expect to have to feed off the ground considerable hay and feed or you will be overun with parasites given the animals mentioned. Llamas poo in one area which is so cool! I wish goats and sheep did!