Genipher's Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like that idea, just buy a new buckling every year and sell him after stud service. If all you want is babies, you could conceivably keep a buckling to breed the does. If you send them to freezer camp, it wouldn't be a problem for inbreeding. If you want to sell them or keep one, then buy a new buck every other year and use a "raise your own" every other year.

Yes, you NEED a buck.....just for a little while.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not logical at all....but may get husband motivated to move once neighbors start complaing about the buck in rut smell :lol::thumbsup

The look on his face when I told him I found a buckling and was considering buying him...:gig

As an aside, some family issues have come up where we might end up having my father-in-law and his wife move in with us (they are at the point of being unable to cook for themselves or drive). If they do, we WILL have to move to a bigger place. My husband and I were looking at homes recently and I found 2.5 acres with 2 manufactured homes on it... we'll see how it plays out.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I like that idea, just buy a new buckling every year and sell him after stud service. If all you want is babies, you could conceivably keep a buckling to breed the does. If you send them to freezer camp, it wouldn't be a problem for inbreeding. If you want to sell them or keep one, then buy a new buck every other year and use a "raise your own" every other year.

Yes, you NEED a buck.....just for a little while.

I like the idea, too!

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m dreaming of my future lambs and certainly got excited about my goat kids back when I had them too :weee

I typically make sure my girls will be a year old or older when they’re ready to kid/lamb, as I don’t have an easy way to weigh them (yet), my rule of thumb is 8 months. Older if they don’t feel or look mature enough.
When I had my Nigerians, I bought a new buck every spring, raised him up, kept him around long enough to, er, get the job done, then I would rehome him (or send him to freezer camp in one case) before he had the opportunity to become super stinky.
The one mature buck we had one year stank so bad our entire property reeked. We couldn’t open the windows without his stench inundating everything :sick
I seriously don’t recommend keeping a buck in town based on that experience :old

That's a good idea. This buckling I'm eyeballing will be 6 months old by the time my does will be old enough to breed (I'm thinking December, when they're 10 months...but I'm not 100% certain that they'll be up to weight by then.:\ )
I think my timing might be off...because if I bring him home in September (as the seller advertised), he could breed them too soon (he would be 3 months old). I don't have a way to keep them separated.

Guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open and find a buck when it's closer to the time that I need him. it's just, the one I saw online was so pretty!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have a way to keep them separated.
You know what enablers we are......build a pallet fence. You just pound T-posts through them to secure them and screw them together just so the little snot can't pry them apart. Hey! you could make it an art project and paint each board a different color! Kids just love stuff like that.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pampered goats! They've got plenty of blackberries to eat in the backyard but, nooooooo, they want to eat the ones I cut for them from the front yard!

IMG_20190712_154756543.jpg

Also, they've learned how to get to the second shelf in their "barn".

IMG_20190710_201109111.jpg

My internet connection is pretty shoddy, of late. Makes it hard to check up on things here. sigh.