Get Jin trained or find new...

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Soooo. Jin our newest gelding foundered prior us getting him, I foolishly thought it would be a simple matter of keeping him dry lotted,no grain ect and we could maintain him.... we got him about 8, 9 weeks ago and in the last 2 weeks he had a coronary band absess in his right rear and 2 days ago he has become lame on his left rear. Highly suspect another absess... :he
he is on "loan" from my mom...so can be returned. Any thoughts on longterm use? Not sure that he was treated in any way prior us getting him. Am working with my farrier, he had a trim Thursday. My goal was a trail horse. He can be a bully to people so keeping him is not 100% anyways. :hu any thoughts on management of the disease and possible needed care?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Talked more with my farrier. She feels he was healing well from the founder and felt that within 6 months you'd never known he had foundered. She feels this is a new issue. In fact our other horse, also from my mom had evidence of healed abscesses. So maybe it's the environment she had them in, or they are half brothers so..... genetics disposition? Our other horses hasn't had a lame day, we got him this summer. And I am not working either he's doing this in the dry lot... :idunno I hate to return him because they don't have a dry lot set up (I do) and the kid that was using him doesn't have any place to keep him. In fact if my mom ever gets her place sold most her horses will probably be auctioned off. Idk, really feeling that it's just too much right now though. With our 3 kids I really prefer kid friendly horses and as I said he can be a butt and acts like a 2 year old vs a 12 year old. I don't mind working with a horse if he has the potential though frankly am not a trainer. Now with the hoof problems.... ugh. Thanks for listening.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I take it that the abscess in his coronary has blown open? If so, keep it clean and washed down with Betadine. It should heal up with no residual issues. If the other hoof is abscessing, if it blows out the bottom, it will be harder to keep clean, but make a pad and duct tape it on, change daily, then every other day until healed.

On the butthead issue, I wouldn't keep him where children are concerned. It is easy enough to get hurt with a kid friendly horse, much less a pushy one. Get him healed up so you don't feel bad about returning him to your Mom. Then start looking for a kid friendly horse.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Shoot Bay... sorry, I completely went brain dead and didn't think of your name and I KNOW you have a LOT of experience with horses. :he Sorry. I'm gettin' old I tell ya... :(

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes Bay mule that was the first lamends episode. Now just waiting and watching as can't find any heat, ect.
I agree about his attitude, we have been super lucky with his brother does better with kids than adults almost. He loves my 4 year old and she can lead him and off he goes ever patient and watchful of her. Knew Jin needed more work but... I plain don't like a disrespectful horse. He loves attention but seeing it's more on his terms, and he appears to have been treated as a big baby. My husband gives me hard time since I have a tendency not to stick with a hard task. But I guess I feel I know my limits.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up. It's not just about sticking with a hard task once you have kids. I am not a horse person but my husband grew up on a horse farm and he would agree with Bay.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@promiseacres there are too many good horses out there than to put up with a pushy disrespectful horse, especially with children. A spoiled animal can hurt some one with their bad attitude, not because of them being mean, but because not respecting your space. I think you already know in your heart what your mind is telling you.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have to agree with Baymule. Any horse that is a threat to your children does not need to be there. Can't say much about the abcesses, just what bay also said. Most problems I ever had to deal with was thrush in a moist/soggy pasture years ago, with one of my barrel racing mares. The horse needs someone with more time and probably more willingness to not let it get away with the behaviour problems.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for tagging me, but I have no experience with founder or abscesses.
Somehow, with my fatties, I've been super lucky not having any issues.

I wouldn't want a horse that likes to blow abscesses left n right nor one that needs a bunch of work if it'll be around kids. Each takes a long time to heal, which makes a ton of time where you can't do a ton with your horse.

Since these were with your mother before, did they never have abscesses when in her care?