Getting 2 Kids

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have been talking and looking at getting 2 doe kids. They have been born. We have 10 days to 2 weeks to prepare. What do we need to do to prepare for these babies? They are Nigerian dwarf does. Is there a specific book that y'all recommend that we get?

I know there is such a thing as chicken math. Is there such a thing as goat math? I need to be prepared.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
These are our new babies. We'll get them in about 10 days to 2 weeks. I'm so excited. I'm going to have to think of really cute names for them.

divaxsmartyblackdoe.jpg
divaxsmartycouclairdoe3.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they are bottle babies make sure that when you pick them up you have the opportunity to feed them with the bottle.
They should take it down vigorously.
Do NOT take the kids home without knowing first hand that they are trained to the bottle and eating well.
Your breeder should be sending you home with care instructions.

I strongly recommend you have a fecal run on them (take it to your vet) and check for parasitic infection and coccidia.
Put them on coccidia prevention!
Find out from your breeder what they are being offered feed wise. Also coccidia prevention, if they do it and what they use.
Make sure they have somewhere they can cuddle together and keep warm at night.

How old are they?

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If they are bottle babies make sure that when you pick them up you have the opportunity to feed them with the bottle.
They should take it down vigorously.
Do NOT take the kids home without knowing first hand that they are trained to the bottle and eating well.
Your breeder should be sending you home with care instructions.

I strongly recommend you have a fecal run on them (take it to your vet) and check for parasitic infection and coccidia.
Put them on coccidia prevention!
Find out from your breeder what they are being offered feed wise. Also coccidia prevention, if they do it and what they use.
Make sure they have somewhere they can cebuddle together and keep warm at night.

How old are they?

They are just a couple of days old. We are getting them from Double Durango. She takes them and starts them immediately on the bottle. She’s already sent me care instructions. I’m going to go out one day and get a towel that has their scent on it so Gracie and Chewy can get used to their smell.

Do you use Corrid for coccidia in goats? I have it for my chickens. Would a large dog crate be good for them to sleep in? We have a shed for them.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you.
Awesome they have given you care instructions. A crate would be great, if the crate is in an enclosed area you could leave the door open.
At this time of year depending on night temps we do keep a heat lamp on.
I'll snap a pic.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you.
Awesome they have given you care instructions. A crate would be great, if the crate is in an enclosed area you could leave the door open.
At this time of year depending on night temps we do keep a heat lamp on.
I'll snap a pic.
I’d love a pic. Have all your babies been born?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
grrr having a hard time getting the pic.
We do use Premiere 1 Heatlamp and bulbs ONLY. Anything else is dangerous.

No, not all. We have 1 in the kidding stall tonight another going in on Monday/Tuesday and then 9 in April... a straggler in May and June. :lol:
So.... you could say we have a LONG way to go.
We have a few more leaving this weekend.

I'll try and post a pic as I am able.

How big is your shed and is there a nightlight? Will you close them in?

Latest posts