Getting a kid to try grain and hay?

merkleroot

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
On to my 2nd goat problem, lol. My month and 1 week old bottle baby is not attempting to eat hay or grain. She wants the bottle and only the bottle. Her former bottle baby older sisters are eating like champs but she has zero interest in even looking at hay or grain much less trying it. If I put it in my hand she just shoved her face into my palm confused where the bottle nipple is but doesn't even open her mouth. She always has soft poops, they're like mushy pellets and I'm pretty sure it's because her body needs some fiber since she's getting older. Her sisters eat grass when outside and she eats dirt...

I've literally opened her mouth and put a few grain pieces in or some hay and still nothing.

I've tried feeding her late so she gets hungry and tries grain or hay but she just screams next to the door.

A few of my friends with goats said I should cut the morning bottle so she's hungry and starts trying to eat. Only give her the evening bottle with a bit more milk. And watch that she doesn't loose weight and actually starts eating.

Does that sound safe? Is that what I should be doing? I don't care that she's not trying grain but I'm worried about the hay since I want to make sure she develops rumen probably.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well... she clearly isn't "getting in" like the other kids. Some are just born with less brains.

So.... slow and steady wins the race.

Mix up stuff in her regular bottle. So, put grain or hay pellets in with the milk. Shake it up, feed her chunky milk. Yes, you will have to cut a bigger hole in the nipple or get a different nipple.

Each feeding make the milk a bit more chunky.

When she is taking her chunky milk without too much fuss... switch her to a bucket.

Get a shallow bucket or bowl, fill it with the same chunky milk you have been feeding her.

Show her the bottle... lower the bottle into the shallow bucket so she has to root in the milk mix in order to get the nipple.

Hopefully she will slurp up some of the mix and see that her milk is right there in the bowl. And maybe she will try it out of the bowl.

Then, you are feeding her chunky milk in a bucket.

Every day feed her from the bucket and reduce the milk each day.

With any luck in a week, maybe two... she will be eating as she should.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
My month and 1 week old bottle baby is not attempting to eat hay or grain. She wants the bottle and only the bottle. Her former bottle baby older sisters are eating like champs but she has zero interest in even looking at hay or grain much less trying it.
Is she kept with the other goats? If so, they'll help her learn.

merkleroot

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Is she kept with the other goats? If so, they'll help her learn.
She has 2 "sisters" a bit older then her who she's with 24/7. She doesn't seem to pay attention to what they're doing ever, lol. Even when we go on our walks she's constantly getting left behind because she's not watching them or me, and busy getting distracted by something or other then she notices and cries. I'm not far and have eyes on her but we have lots of trees and brush so she can't see us. Then she comes dashing to me when I call her or go back only to repeat.

merkleroot

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well... she clearly isn't "getting in" like the other kids. Some are just born with less brains.

So.... slow and steady wins the race.

Mix up stuff in her regular bottle. So, put grain or hay pellets in with the milk. Shake it up, feed her chunky milk. Yes, you will have to cut a bigger hole in the nipple or get a different nipple.

Each feeding make the milk a bit more chunky.

When she is taking her chunky milk without too much fuss... switch her to a bucket.

Get a shallow bucket or bowl, fill it with the same chunky milk you have been feeding her.

Show her the bottle... lower the bottle into the shallow bucket so she has to root in the milk mix in order to get the nipple.

Hopefully she will slurp up some of the mix and see that her milk is right there in the bowl. And maybe she will try it out of the bowl.

Then, you are feeding her chunky milk in a bucket.

Every day feed her from the bucket and reduce the milk each day.

With any luck in a week, maybe two... she will be eating as she should.
I did give it a go because she was bucket trained before, I figured it would work. I tried the pan and she happily slurped up the milk and left the grain so I tried the bottle thing and that didn't work. I did end up cutting down on her milk in the morning, mixing it with water and on warm days (not hot) here and there giving no milk in the morning. I'm happy to report she's drinking the watered down milk and going to the grain after for breakfast. She eats none in the evening when she gets a full meal of milk :/

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep! Love that she's learning. Some just need more encouragement. Usually they learn from mom. 😊. Guess YOU didn't eat enough hay with her..... :lol:

Less milk at night and she'll go for grain then, too. Spoiled.

merkleroot

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
LOL, I'm a terrible goat mother I should be chowing down on the green stuff and leading by example. I'll have to take some wheat grass out there and show her how it's done. If she needs leading by example it stops at this, she's gotta learn the milk stand on her own :p

Latest posts