Getting a new pregnant heifer. Updated...change of plans already!

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The farmer and I sold our two Jersey steer about a month ago give or take. Since then, it has been pretty boring with only 2 in the herd. We have been searching high and low within a tri-state area for some nice Hereford. We finally found what we are looking for pretty close by.

We went last night to choose from 3 different pregnant cows/heifers. We had seen the herd as a whole a couple of weeks ago and an amazing looking young bull (6-8 months) too. We chose which heifer we will get. She is a registered Hereford, 3 years old due soon with her 2nd calf. She is lighter in color than what really appeals to us (and that's why they are selling her, because they are really striving for the darker red) but she seems to otherwise be a good temperment, etc. They are going to preg check her and look at their records to narrow down the due date. We may just keep her there until about a week after she calves as not to stress anyone.

The bull...well...their herd bull has the same parents. He is about 1.5 years old and amazing! This young bull looks very much like him. They have him in a separate area with other cows that are going to the butcher eventually. But they really are trying to find someone to buy him. They don't want to steer him because they really feel he is going to be an exceptional bull. But they don't need another one. The problem is, we don't really need one either. :hide We'll see I guess.

Of course on the ride to work this morning. I said to the farmer, "man...I should have at least taken my phone out and got a picture!" Dah!

So hopefully we can go back soon and at least get a picture for yall to see. If not...someday they will be at our farm and we'll definately get some then. :D

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ain't that the way! The young bull was sold last night. That's OK, I am glad he is going to be used as a bull. So instead...we are getting the pregnant heifer and a young heifer that can be bred in the fall. And, we are trading our Jeep which we had for sale anyhow. No money exchanging hands. Life is good!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In the long run, you will be better off by using AI on your fledgling herd. AI will afford you far more flexibility in your mating decisions. For instance, you can breed each of your cows to different bulls, and establish many different bloodlines within your herd. You won't need to worry about a bull breeding his mother or sister, and having to replace your bull every 2 years. You will also have the ability to use crossbreeding if you wish. Good luck!

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Great points ! I knew we really didn't "need" a bull as did the farmer. And we honestly didn't want to feed one all year for a total of 3 heifers, but he was too nice to pass up. :D But I honesty hadn't thought about establishing different blood lines. Thank you for your wisdom.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This is Charlotte. She is the 1 year old. There were too many in the herd to get a picture of her alone. But I think she looks good. Hopefully we will get her next weekend. :D

4090_charlotte_two.jpg

4090_charlotte.jpg

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She looks bright eyed! Are you still going to leave the other one until after she calves?

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Cricket, She is bright eyed now that you mention it! She was one of their kids 4-H calfs from last year. So even though she hasn't had much attention as of late, we are hoping that she will be an easy transition.

We are waiting until they preg check her to decide really. One of the farmers (two friends that are business parteners) his wife is a vet and the one that does it. We are waiting on her to preg check the heifer. If she is due in less than a month, we will leave her there. If she is due in more than a month, we will bring her home. Unfortunatley, because she owns her own veterinary hospital she has to work there, so we are kind of at her mercy. It isn't a problem, this new found business relationship is turning into a huge blessing. So we will wait on her.

(I wanted to get pictures of the pregnant heifer, Yorkie, too, but in a heard of 40-60 out in a field (a muddy field) we just couldn't pick her out.)

We are ok with either scinario. Of course we would like to have them both at our farm so that we could have a 1st calf born there. But either way it is ok. We are just really happy to be getting our herd built with the breed that we want to focus on. :D going from 1 heifer to 3 (and who knows about the calf) quickly like this is really a miracle for us.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Got word today from the wife/vet. She says that Yorkie, the pregnant heifer has a full grown calf inside so we should have a new calf born within a couple of weeks!!!!! :weee Then...we will leave them at the farm for a week and bring them home! Soooooooo excited.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That's great! And it'll be nice to leave the first calf heifer worries to a professional!