Getting an exemption???

GBov

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I want to get my kids three Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats, both as pets and as a source of milk. We have plenty of room in the back yard and I have saved enough money to build a fence, a shelter, lay in some hay and feed and get the goats themselves.

Problem!

The city ordinances forbid all hoof stock. All livestock of any kind really which is more than a BIT annoying!

But, I have read that one can get an exemption to an ordinance like this one so my question to you all is...........

Where do I start? How do I go about getting an exemption to something like this?

My daughter is lactose intolerant which might help but other than that I dont know what to do.

After wanting goats for most of my life, managing to move to a house with a nice big privacy fenced yard and saving the money to realize a dream, its like a kick in the stomach to learn about that poxy ordinance :he

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You could start by going to your town's planning and zoning committee and asking them how to file an exemption claim. If you don't do it at their level they can probably provide you with the info on how to.

Iceblink

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have read that there are some exemptions for 4-H animals, if your kids are interested in doing that. In that case you could try contacting your extension agent, they might be able to help you get in contact with the 4-H people in your area.

Good luck, and keep us updated on how it goes.

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
After wanting goats for most of my life, managing to move to a house with a nice big privacy fenced yard and saving the money to realize a dream, its like a kick in the stomach to learn about that poxy ordinance
Tell me about it! We moved to a place that has a covenant, which we were not made aware of at the time of purchase. We thought, we're zoned rural, even though it's sort of a development the lots are all over 2 acres (ours is 3.2 acres), the county says it's ok, so we must be in the clear. Not so. We're doing what we want anyway and got signatures from most of our neighbors stating that they don't care what we do as long as it's not super smelly or too loud. So we're ok for the time being as long as no one complains. We're planning on moving in the next 5 years or so to a place where we don't have to worry about any of this nonsense. Really frustrating since we thought this is it, we're done moving. We'll be MUCH more careful next time and now we know what questions to ask. Just saying we didn't want any restrictions or associations wasn't enough I guess... :/

Good luck to you!

GBov

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Have contacted the 4 H people and am waiting to hear back from them. Its a big something or other this weekend so they are super busy. Not to worry, will wait till its more convenient for them.

Having read a bit more about them, I think the kids and I would LOVE to do some of their projects :D

Am going to go get a gallon of goats milk on Tuesday. The lady has lots of different milkers including Nigerians so I get to try their milk and if we can swing the exemption, perhaps might even have found a place to get some milkers.

Will keep you posted:D