Getting baby chicks this spring? I have many tips for you

MrsKuhn

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just don't see deep litter method in 100+ weather very smart. They are already panting and I am having to do extra work to keep them cool just with the dirt run flooring. I just can't stand all the poop and not being able to clean it. It was plush and green grass when I put them in there 2 weeks ago.

IMG_7634.JPG

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just don't see deep litter method in 100+ weather very smart. They are already panting and I am having to do extra work to keep them cool just with the dirt run flooring. I just can't stand all the poop and not being able to clean it. It was plush and green grass when I put them in there 2 weeks ago.

View attachment 18711
I would try it. You can also block off half the coop with wire and plant seeds and when they are grown bit then let the chickens in and they will eat it. You know that manure is very very healthy for the garden.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just curiosity, is everyone talking about the coop as being just the shelter or both hen house and run?

My chicks love scratching through the dirt so any bedding in the run itself would just get scratched out anyway. In the hen house itself it is mostly for odor control and trying to keep the flies down.

I have been adding the weeds from my garden to the run. The chicks love the seeds from the grasses and such. And any that sprout won't be left to grow very long.

I've also noticed that one bird at least seems to really like that sour grass - I think it is actually called wood sorrel. It is one of the edible plants and has a lemony taste.

I will be careful, however, to not give the birds any leaves from the tomato plants or the tomatoes themselves. Because they are part of the nightshade family and I don't know how much is tolerable and how much is dangerous to them.

I need to remember which plant is pig weed. I've heard that is one to avoid as well.

Reactions: TAH

MrsKuhn

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Im talking about the run itself, and how to clean the wooden ladder and roost that have poop all over them

Last edited:

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I believe a scrub brush or small paint scraper of some kind would be helpful in cleaning the wood.

As for the poop on the ground I just sweep it up when it is dry. When the rain starts again I may have to rethink that. But, then too, the poop mostly disintegrates in water.

Please keep in mind my one chicken never left the hen house so far as I know. And the mess from one bird isn't anywhere near the amount from a flock of birds. The other birds are young enough that I am still learning as I go.

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My run is immediately uphill from my garden, self fertilizing, lol.

My chickens love tomatoes! After 5 years it hasn't killed them I haven't feed the plants. As far as pigweed, depending which plant you are referring to, I've feed everything in this area that is referred to by that name with no problem. I've found they won't eat enough of poisonous plants to cause harm. I even have poke growing in the run ( one I know is poison) and they ignore it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I build coops and runs right on the dirt. I pile leaves, corn shucks, pea hulls and whatever vegetable matter I have in the coop. They turn it into compost for me. When it gets icky, I just dump more in.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
MrsKuhn, too bad you weren't getting the answers you wanted. I hope you can find the answers you need here.

chiques chicks, I guess I'm just a bit paranoid at times. I wouldn't expect the tomatoes themselves to be a problem. After all we can eat them alright.

I find myself thinking that we use the term poisonous when maybe we should be using the term medicinal. As in not deadly, a little might help, but a lot isn't a good idea. I've wondered before if poke weed might actually help blood pressure in small enough amounts. The ones I've talked to have described what was a lot like blood pressure going too low.

Just a couple weeks ago I heard about some people that had been told poke salad is good. Evidently they did not know that the poke weed is cooked and rinsed at least twice before being eaten. Maybe whoever told them about the salad didn't know they wanted to try it and so didn't relay the info.

I sometimes think I would like to see a thread dedicated to plants that cause problems for our animals. With pictures of the actual plants where ever possible. Well, maybe that is a project for another day.

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love the idea of a plant thread! Many plants have local names that vary by region. We are getting many indices here I have to research to recognize. Japanese hops comes to mind. We also have a massive hemlock invasion, all parts of hemlock are deadly!

Poke is edible when very young, I'm told.

I really should post a few pics of this year's chicks. I hatched only a couple dozen, but some are coming out very pretty.