Getting baby chicks this spring? I have many tips for you

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've finally found someone who is willing to help me process some of my excess cockerels. Since they are all grouped fairly close together we are thinking just a couple of them at a time starting with the largest/oldest.

Aside from the "yuck" reaction to the thought of butchering them I'm not really bothered by the process. An interesting sensation for me actually. Perhaps it has something to do with seeing how much they are hassling the pullets and adult hen....

It will be interesting to see how this goes.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a pen of straight run chickens. Out of FIFTY chicks, I think I have maybe 11 pullets. :th Our neighbor has a Yeti cooler and an ice machine. I am going to borrow it and butcher as many cockerels as I can in one day. The Yeti will keep them for 7-10 days with no problem. That will give me time to process, rather than kill/process a few at a time.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh I've been there, sorry. Good luck!
My Danvers are driving me insane, flying everywhere. I think I have about 6 roosters and 10 hens.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, for me the butchering process has been put off a week. The people helping/teaching me are both busy today.

I tried so hard to avoid the excess roosters. I got 9 chicks that had been vent sexed at the hatchery - of those 9 only one seems to be a pullet.

I do have a bantam cockerel that was bought straight run - I bought 3 and the other two are pullets.

Hopefully in a week things will work out to get this done. I'm feeling kind of like when I have a dentist appointment coming up. Not really looking forward to it, but also looking forward to having it over with.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where did you get them?
Good luck! I've gotten used to dentist appointments and they aren't to bad.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got the chicks from Atwoods and the local feed store.

As for dentist appointments. They are usually fillings or root canals. Also, for what ever reason the pain killers don't work as long as expected and some dentists really don't like giving another shot to finish the job.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Apparently I've been getting eggs the last few days and didn't notice. They were in the back corner of the hen house. Under those steps I've got. I had quite a time getting them out of that spot.

20160810_104401 (1).jpg
I think in baking it would take 2 or maybe 3 of these to equal 1 large egg. But, I am not convinced my bantam pullets are the ones that laid these.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, if those are the size of Bantam eggs it would take two

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have had a tooth that won't grow in, so I have to get it uncovered on Friday. Not sure how I feel, I have braces so I'm not very concerned

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, 5 of the cockerels have been processed. There are at least four more to go. I am so glad I got someone to do the job for me. I really don't think I could have done it myself. She didn't even want any of the meat - she has about 20 of her own to process. She said she just wanted the practice.

Having those birds removed from the flock has made quite a change in the hen house. Things seem so quiet today.

As for the tooth Poka_Doodle - I had braces for several years too. As well as two teeth that would not come in even though they were fully formed. The dentist didn't have to follow through but his plan was to just make a slit above the tooth for it to come in through.

Latest posts