Getting discouraged...

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, I've been trying to raise meat rabbits for about a year now. And I've only had 2 successful litters so far. and several failed litters. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Others that have started that I know are thriving with this...But I can't seen to get anything right. We have researched and researched til my eyes bleed to make sure we are doing all we can..

ANY tips would be greatly appreciated.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I remember a guy at a rabbit show saying, "I bought two rabbits on such-and-such a date, guess how many rabbits I had a year later?" He got a bunch of guesses, and when all had guessed, he said, "Wrong! One died, so I had exactly one!" Rabbits can be that way . . . .:th

I know, it can be really discouraging. Obviously, whoever coined the phrase "breeds like rabbits" never tried it. There are a million and one things that can go wrong, and just when you think you've gotten every possible contingency covered, they come up with something neither you nor anyone else ever seems to have thought of.

Rather than looking at it as failures, think of them as learning experiences. When something goes wrong, knowing what happened can help keep it from happening again.

Though sometimes, you never know. Someone gave me a NZ doe that they hadn't been able to get bred, nor had the breeder they had bought her from. I got a few litters from her and a Harlequin buck before she simply got too old - no idea why she wouldn't breed to those NZ bucks.:hu

Hang in there!

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How many does do you have, nstone630? If you've had no success in the last year you really should consider new stock. Where do you live? If your are anywhere around the Tulsa area I could tell you where you could buy some PW (Production White). I've been raising them since last spring, and I have had no problems with breeding any of them. They are a great breed to raise for meat.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've tried swapping out the Does, no such luck. And by brother in law lives next to us, and i gave him 2 that I couldn't get pregnant, and wham bam thank y ou ma'am...they both just had litters for him, and great moms.

My husband also looks at is as a learning experience. He's much more positive about it then me. I just get tired of my learning meaning little warm babies are dieing. All they want is to be warm and loved when they are born, and it seems that I can't even get them that...

I am not giving up yet, just venting my frustrations, and looking for help.....sooo I don't give up.

cwrabs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
In all honesty, I think it's kind of hard to tell you without seeing your setup, how and what you feed, are there any other animals around, etc. Everyone has to learn, but don't get discouraged....it will work out eventually. What works for one person may not work for you. Whatever you do though...relax and enjoy!!

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hang in there nstone, I been at this a year also and had quite a few disappointments. I have 4 does and 2 bucks and a freezer that only has 4 rabbits in it. But I am persistent. I have a litter of 3 still in the nest box from a doe I let get fat, another does I think is pregnant (but since I don't seem to be able to palpate yet I am not sure), and another one that has been bred. My other doe is resting after her first litter of 4 of which I lost every one because I pulled the nest box at day 35 and she waited 3 more days to have them. All learning experiences and sometimes a general aggravation. Patience has never been one of my virtues but my rabbits have decided that they are going to force it on me whether I like it or not.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hang in there nstone, I been at this a year also and had quite a few disappointments. I have 4 does and 2 bucks and a freezer that only has 4 rabbits in it. But I am persistent. I have a litter of 3 still in the nest box from a doe I let get fat, another does I think is pregnant (but since I don't seem to be able to palpate yet I am not sure), and another one that has been bred. My other doe is resting after her first litter of 4 of which I lost every one because I pulled the nest box at day 35 and she waited 3 more days to have them. All learning experiences and sometimes a general aggravation. Patience has never been one of my virtues but my rabbits have decided that they are going to force it on me whether I like it or not.

Did you have litters die?

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I lost the one litter as I said because I pulled the nest box at 35 days and she kindled 3 days later.
I lost a kit to some kind of eye injury which I think was due to the wire clip on my J-feeder and another just died after 2 or 3 days. I felt bad about the one I pulled the nest box on. She had built a nest, pulled out a bunch of fur to line it and I took it away from her. By biggest problem in the beginning was getting one of my does to cooperate with my breeding program. At that time I only had 2 does of age so I was struggling to keep something in the freezer. I have had 2 more come of age and one of them is not cooperating much either. If the 2 problem does were the only ones I had acquired I would probably be as discouraged as you seem. With the 2 does I have that are doing their job properly I can see how it is supposed to work so if they don't start acting like rabbits are supposed to I will replace them. The one I pulled the nest box on will definitely get another chance as it was her first litter and my other one has built a nest and I think will deliver this time. Either way I will work with what happens and do what I need to keep this endeavor going. Do post some pics if you have time, maybe some of the more experienced people will be able to see anything that might be of concern.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was reading somewhere recently that the fragile nature of the rabbit is the reason that they can not be raised "factory farm" style like chickens and others. I suppose that's why they are $35 each in gourmet grocery stores.

Latest posts